From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Centuries:||14th century – 15th century – 16th century|
|Decades:||1370s 1380s 1390s – 1400s – 1410s 1420s 1430s|
|Years:||1401 1402 1403 – 1404 – 1405 1406 1407|
|1404 by topic|
|Arts and science|
|Architecture - Art|
|State leaders - Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births - Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments - Disestablishments|
|Art and literature|
|1404 in poetry|
|Ab urbe condita||2157|
|Bahá'í calendar||-440 – -439|
|English Regnal year||5 Hen. 4 – 6 Hen. 4|
|Chinese calendar||癸未年 (Water Goat)
4100 or 4040
— to —
甲申年 (Wood Monkey)
4101 or 4041
|- Vikram Samvat||1460–1461|
|- Shaka Samvat||1326–1327|
|- Kali Yuga||4505–4506|
|Japanese calendar||Ōei 11
|Minguo calendar||508 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||1947|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1404.|
- June 14 – Rebel leader Owain Glyndŵr, having declared himself Prince of Wales, allies with the French against the English. He later begins holding parliamentary assemblies.
- October 17 – Pope Innocent VII succeeds Pope Boniface IX as the 204th pope.
- November 19 – St. Elizabeth's flood devastates parts of Flanders, Zeeland and Holland.
- Jean de Béthencourt becomes the first ruler of the Kingdom of the Canary Islands.
- Stephan Tvrtko II succeeds Stefan Ostoja as King of Bosnia.
- Peace is declared between Lithuania and the Teutonic Knights after they agree to exchange land and form an alliance against Muscovy.
- The University of Turin is founded.
- Timur is hit by a fever while preparing to invade China.
- Centurione II Zaccaria succeeds Maria II Zaccaria as ruler of the Principality of Achaea.
- Virupaksha Raya succeeds Harihara Raya II as ruler of the Vijayanagara Empire in present-day southern India.
- Narayana Ramadhipati succeeds Ponthea Yat as King of Cambodia.
- Ruaidri Caech MacDermot succeeds Conchobair Og MacDermot as King of Moylurg in present-day north-east Connacht, Ireland.
- The city of Vicenza comes under the rule of the Venetians.
- February 9 – Constantine XI, last Byzantine Emperor (d. 1453)
- February 18 – Leon Battista Alberti, Italian painter, poet, and philosopher (d. 1472))
- March 25 – (baptism) – John Beaufort, 1st Duke of Somerset, English military leader (d. 1444)
- June – Murad II, Ottoman Sultan (d. 1451)
- July 25 – Philip I, Duke of Brabant (d. 1430)
- September 10 – Gilles de Rais, French aristocrat (d. 1440)
- October 14 – Marie of Anjou, queen of Charles VII of France (d. 1463)
- date unknown – Yamana Sōzen, Japanese warlord and monk (d. 1473)
- April 27 – Philip II, Duke of Burgundy (b. 1342)
- September 14 – Duke Albert IV of Austria (b. 1377)
- September 23 – Eleanor of Arborea, ruler of Sardinia (b. 1350)
- September 27 – William of Wykeham, English bishop and statesman (b. 1320)
- October 1 – Pope Boniface IX (b. 1356)
- October 15 – Marie Valois, French princess (b. 1344)
- December 13 – Albert, Count of Holland (b. 1336)