From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Centuries:||14th century – 15th century – 16th century|
|Decades:||1410s 1420s 1430s – 1440s – 1450s 1460s 1470s|
|Years:||1440 1441 1442 – 1443 – 1444 1445 1446|
|1443 by topic|
|Arts and science|
|Architecture - Art|
|State leaders - Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births - Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments - Disestablishments|
|Art and literature|
|1443 in poetry|
|Ab urbe condita||2196|
|Bahá'í calendar||-401 – -400|
|English Regnal year||21 Hen. 6 – 22 Hen. 6|
|Chinese calendar||壬戌年 (Water Dog)
4139 or 4079
— to —
癸亥年 (Water Pig)
4140 or 4080
|- Vikram Samvat||1499–1500|
|- Shaka Samvat||1365–1366|
|- Kali Yuga||4544–4545|
|Japanese calendar||Kakitsu 3
|Minguo calendar||469 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||1986|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1443.|
- July 22 – Battle of St. Jakob an der Sihl (Old Zürich War): The forces of the city of Zürich are defeated but the Old Swiss Confederacy have insufficient strength to besiege and take the city.
- November 8 – Battle of Niš: John Hunyadi and the army of the Crusade of Varna defeat three armies of the Ottoman Empire and capture the city of Niš in modern-day Serbia; Skanderbeg deserts the Ottoman camp and goes to Albania.
- November 28 – Skanderbeg and his forces, rebelling against the Ottoman Empire, liberate Kruja, in Middle Albania, and raise the Albanian flag.
- Portuguese explorer Nuno Tristão penetrates the Arguin Gulf off the west coast of Africa.
- King Sejong the Great establishes Hangul as the native alphabet of the Korean language.
- Vlad II Dracul begins his second term as ruler of Wallachia, succeeding Basarab II.
- The Buddhist Zhihua Temple (智化寺) is built in Beijing at the order of Wang Zhen, chief eunuch at the court of the Zhengtong Emperor of Ming Dynasty China.
- January 27 – Albert, Duke of Saxony (d. 1500)
- February – Anne de Beauchamp, 15th Countess of Warwick (d. 1449)
- February 4 – Philip II, Duke of Savoy (d. 1497)
- February 23 – Matthias Corvinus of Hungary (d. 1490)
- May 17 – Edmund, Earl of Rutland, brother of Kings Edward IV of England and Richard III of England (d. 1460)
- May 31 – Lady Margaret Beaufort, mother of Henry VII of England (d. 1509)
- September 8 – John de Vere, 13th Earl of Oxford, English Lancastrian leader (d. 1513)
- December 5 – Pope Julius II (d. 1513)
- January 16 – Erasmo of Narni, Italian mercenary (b. 1370)
- January 28 – Robert le Maçon, Chancellor of France
- February – Guidantonio da Montefeltro, count of Urbino (b. 1377)
- March 24 – James Douglas, 7th Earl of Douglas (b. 1371)
- April 12 – Henry Chichele, Archbishop of Canterbury
- May 9 – Niccolò Albergati, Italian Cardinal and diplomat (b. 1373)
- June 5 – Ferdinand the Saint Prince of Portugal (b. 1402)
- August 16 – Ashikaga Yoshikatsu, Japanese shogun (b. 1434)
- August 29 – Isabella of Urgell, Duchess of Coimbra (b. 1409)
- September 18 – Lewis of Luxembourg, Archbishop of Rouen
- date unknown – Infante Diogo of Portugal
- probable – Zeami Motokiyo, Japanese actor and playwright (b. 1363)