From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the year 1449.
|Centuries:||14th century – 15th century – 16th century|
|Decades:||1410s 1420s 1430s – 1440s – 1450s 1460s 1470s|
|Years:||1446 1447 1448 – 1449 – 1450 1451 1452|
|1449 by topic|
|Arts and science|
|Architecture - Art|
|State leaders - Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births - Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments - Disestablishments|
|Art and literature|
|1449 in poetry|
|Ab urbe condita||2202|
|Bahá'í calendar||−395 – −394|
|English Regnal year||27 Hen. 6 – 28 Hen. 6|
|Chinese calendar||戊辰年 (Earth Dragon)
4145 or 4085
— to —
己巳年 (Earth Snake)
4146 or 4086
|- Vikram Samvat||1505–1506|
|- Shaka Samvat||1371–1372|
|- Kali Yuga||4550–4551|
|Japanese calendar||Bunnan 6 / Hōtoku 1
|Minguo calendar||463 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||1992|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1449.|
- January 6 – Constantine XI Palaiologos is crowned Byzantine Emperor at Mistra. He will be the last in a line of rulers that can be traced to the founding of Rome.
- April 7 – The last Antipope, Felix V, abdicates.
- April 19 – Pope Nicholas V is elected by the Council of Basel.
- April 25 – The Council of Basel dissolves itself.
- May 14 – Second Siege of Sfetigrad (1449): Garrison surrenders and Ottomans seize the fortress.
- May 20 – Tensions between King Afonso V of Portugal and Peter, Duke of Coimbra erupt at the Battle of Alfarrobeira. Defeat of the Duke's forces.
- August 13 – First Margrave War: Albrecht III Achilles, Elector of Brandenburg takes Lichtenau Fortress from Nuremberg.
- September 3 – Battle of Tumu Fortress: The Oirat Mongols defeat the Ming dynasty army and capture the Zhengtong Emperor of China; the latter is officially deposed while his brother ascends as the Jingtai Emperor the next year.
- October 29 – The French recapture Rouen from the English.
- January 1 – Lorenzo de' Medici, Italian statesman (d. 1492)
- January 17 – Blessed Osanna of Mantua, Dominican mystic (d. 1505)
- April 27 – Asakura Ujikage, Japanese clan head (d. 1486)
- October 8 – Bona of Savoy, Duchess of Milan (d. 1503)
- October 21 – George Plantagenet, 1st Duke of Clarence, brother of Edward IV of England and Richard III of England (d. 1478)
- date unknown
- January 3 – Anne de Beauchamp, 15th Countess of Warwick (b. 1443)
- January 4 – Cecilia of Brandenburg, Duchess of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel (b. c.1405)
- January 21 – Giovanni Berardi, Archbishop of Taranto (b. 1380)
- March – Dolce dell'Anguillara, condottiero (b. 1401)
- May – Alexander of Islay, Earl of Ross, Lord of the Isles
- May 20 (at the Battle of Alfarrobeira)
- August 13 – Louis IV, Elector Palatine (b. 1424)
- October 27 – Ulugh Beg, Timurid ruler and astronomer (b. 1394)
- November 7 – Konrad von Erlichshausen, Grand Master of the Teutonic Knights
- December 24 – Walter Bower, Scottish chronicler (b. 1385)