14th Lok Sabha
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
The 14th Lok Sabha (17 May 2004 – 18 May 2009) was convened after the Indian general election, 2004 held in four phases during 20 April – 10 May 2004, which led to the formation of First Manmohan Singh Cabinet (2004–2009). The Lok Sabha (House of the People) is the lower house in the Parliament of India.
- Speaker: Somnath Chatterjee, Independent, Bolpur, West Bengal
- Deputy Speaker: Charanjit Singh Atwal, Shiromani Akali Dal, Phillaur, Punjab
- Leader of the House: Pranab Mukherjee, Indian National Congress, Jangipur, West Bengal
- Leader of the Opposition: Lal Krishna Advani, Bharatiya Janata Party, Gandhinagar, Gujarat
- Secretary General: P.D.T. Acharya 
Expulsion of members for contempt of the House
On 12 December 2005, the Star TV news channel telecast the sting operation Operation Duryodhana, in which 11 Members of Parliament, 10 from Lok Sabha and 1 from Rajya Sabha, were apparently caught on video receiving cash inducements in return for raising questions in the Parliament. Following swift inquiries by the Ethics Committee of Rajya Sabha and a Special Committee of the Lok Sabha the members were found guilty and the motion for their expulsion was adopted in respective Houses.
On 23 December 2005, the following 10 members were ousted from the 14th Lok Sabha as per the adoption of the motion calling for their expulsion:
- Narendra Kushwaha (BSP) – Mirzapur, Uttar Pradesh
- Annasaheb M. K. Patil (BJP) – Erandol, Maharashtra
- Y. G. Mahajan (BJP) – Jalgaon, Maharashtra
- Manoj Kumar (Rashtriya Janata Dal) – Palamau, Jharkand
- Suresh Chandel (BJP) – Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh
- Raja Ram Pal (BSP) – Bilhaur, Uttar Pradesh
- Lal Chandra Kol (BJP) – Robertsganj, Uttar Pradesh
- Pradeep Gandhi (BJP) – Rajnandgaon, Chhattisgarh
- Chandra Pratap Singh (BJP) – Sidhi, Madhya Pradesh
- Ramsevak Singh (Congress) – Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh
List of members by political party
- October 2004
- "Fourteenth Lok Sabha". Lok Sabha Secretariat, New Delhi.
- Operation Durhyodhana by Aniruddha Bahal of Cobrapost, contains extensive details of each interaction.
- Report of the Lok Sabha inquiry committee, on Parliament of India website (in PDF format)
- Lok Sabha Official Website accessed 19 Oct, 2007.