1506 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in art (table)|
|... 1496 . 1497 . 1498 . 1499 . 1500 . 1501 . 1502 ...
1503 1504 1505 -1506- 1507 1508 1509
... 1510 . 1511 . 1512 . 1513 . 1514 . 1515 . 1516 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
- 14 January - The classical statue of Laocoön and His Sons is unearthed in a vineyard near the site of the Domus Aurea of the Roman emperor Nero and the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome. On the recommendation of Giuliano da Sangallo and Michelangelo, Pope Julius II purchases it and places it on public display in the Vatican a month later.
- Francesco Raibolini becomes a court painter in Mantua.
See also: Category:1506 paintings
- Leonardo da Vinci – Mona Lisa
- Raphael – Portrait of Maddalena Doni
- Raphael – Young Woman with Unicorn
- Albrecht Dürer – Portrait of a Young Woman
- April 13 - Peter Faber (or Pierre Favre), French Jesuit painter and sculptor (died 1546)
- date unknown - Ippolito Costa, Italian painter (died 1561)
- August 26 - Sesshū Tōyō, master of suibokuga (ink painting), and a Rinzai Zen Buddhist priest (born 1420)
- September 13 - Andrea Mantegna, Italian Renaissance painter (born 1431)