1513 in science
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in science (table)|
|... 1503 . 1504 . 1505 . 1506 . 1507 . 1508 . 1509 ...
1510 1511 1512 -1513- 1514 1515 1516
... 1517 . 1518 . 1519 . 1520 . 1521 . 1522 . 1523 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
Exploration and cartography
- March 27 - Juan Ponce de León becomes the first European definitely known to sight what is now the territory of the United States, specifically Florida, mistaking it for another island. His expedition lands on April 2.
- May - Portuguese explorer Jorge Álvares lands on Lintin Island in the Pearl River estuary.
- September 26 - Vasco Núñez de Balboa, "silent upon a peak in Darién", first sees what will become known as the Pacific Ocean.
- Portuguese land on Ambon Island.
- Piri Reis map compiled.
- Publication in Oppenheim of Johannes Stöffler's treatise on the construction and use of astrolabes, Elucidatio fabricae ususque astrolabii.
Physiology and medicine
- Eucharius Rösslin publishes Der Rosengarten, an obstetrics manual primarily for midwives written in German which will be widely translated and circulated in Europe.
- Ibn Ghazi al-Miknasi, Moroccan scholar and mathematician (born 1437)
- Hua Sui, Chinese pioneer of metal movable type printing (born 1439)