1553 in science
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in science (table)|
|... 1543 . 1544 . 1545 . 1546 . 1547 . 1548 . 1549 ...
1550 1551 1552 -1553- 1554 1555 1556
... 1557 . 1558 . 1559 . 1560 . 1561 . 1562 . 1563 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
- 'Vigenère cipher' first described by Giovan Battista Bellaso in his book La cifra del. Sig. Giovan Battista Bellaso (Venice).
- May 10 - Sir Hugh Willoughby and Richard Chancellor set out from the River Thames to seek the Northeast Passage.
- Naturalist Pierre Belon publishes Les observations de plusieurs singularitez et choses memorables trouvées en Grèce, Asie, Judée, Egypte, Arabie et autres pays étrangèrs (Paris).
- Conquistador Pedro Cieza de León publishes the Primera Parte of his Crónicas del Perú.
- Venetian mathematician Giambattista Benedetti publishes Resolutio omnium Euclidis problematum, proposing a new doctrine of the speed of bodies in free fall.
Physiology and medicine
- Michael Servetus publishes Christianismi Restitutio, including an account of the circulation of the blood.
- Publication in Spain of Libro del Exercicio, considered the first book on the benefits of physical exercise for health.
- November 23 - Prospero Alpini, Italian physician and botanist (d. 1617)
- Robert Hues, English mathematician and geographer (d. 1632)
- Thomas Muffet, English naturalist and physician (d. 1604)
- Luca Valerio, Italian mathematician (d. 1618)
- February 19 - Erasmus Reinhold, German astronomer and mathematician (b. 1511)
- August 8 - Girolamo Fracastoro, Italian physician (b. 1478)
- October 27 - Michael Servetus, Aragonese polymath (b. 1511) (executed for heresy)
- Ronan, Colin A. (1991). "Leonard and Thomas Digges". Journal of the British Astronomical Association 101 (6). Retrieved 2012-01-25.
- Grun, Bernard (1991). The Timetables of History (3rd ed.). New York: Simon & Schuster. p. 245. ISBN 0-671-74919-6.
- McDermott, James (2004). "Willoughby, Sir Hugh (d. 1554?)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/29599. Retrieved 2011-10-24. (subscription or UK public library membership required)
- The Galileo Project - Valerio (Valeri), Luca has 1552, but Baldini and Napolitani proved that he was born in 1553.