1560s in architecture
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in architecture (table)|
|... 1550 . 1551 . 1552 . 1553 . 1554 . 1555 . 1556 ...
1557 1558 1559 -1560- 1561 1562 1563
... 1564 . 1565 . 1566 . 1567 . 1568 . 1569 . 1570 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
|1550s . 1560s in architecture . 1570s|
- 1560 - Construction of the Uffizi in Florence, designed by Giorgio Vasari, begins.
- 1560 - Construction of Mexico City Cathedral, begins.
- 1561 - Saint Basil's Cathedral, Moscow, designed by Postnik Yakovlev, is completed.
- 1563 - Construction of El Escorial, designed by Juan de Herrera, begins (completed 1584).
- 1562–64 - Façade of the church of San Francesco della Vigna in Venice (Italy), designed by Andrea Palladio, is built.
- 1565–66 - Church of San Giorgio Maggiore in Venice is designed by Palladio and construction begins.
- 1566 - The Tomb of Humayun in Delhi, India is completed.
- 1567 - Construction of Villa Capra "La Rotonda" in Vicenza, designed by Andrea Palladio, begins.
- 1568 - Construction of the Selimiye Mosque, designed by Mimar Sinan, begins (completed 1574).
- 1568: June 26 - Construction of the Church of the Gesù in Rome, designed by Giacomo Barozzi da Vignola, begins.
- 1568 - Construction of Longleat House in England, designed by Robert Smythson, begins.
- 1568 - The Palace of Charles V in Madrid, Spain is completed.
- 1562: Giacomo Barozzi da Vignola - Publication of Regola delli cinque ordini d'architettura (Rules of the Five Orders of Architecture).
- 1563: John Shute - Publication of The First and Chief Groundes of Architecture, the first work in English on architecture.
- 1568: Giorgio Vasari - Second, enlarged, edition published of Le Vite delle più eccellenti pittori, scultori, ed architettori (Lives of the Most Excellent Painters, Sculptors, and Architects).
- 1563 - Diego Siloe, Spanish Renaissance architect and sculptor (died 1490)
- 1564: February 18 - Michelangelo (born 1475)
- Evers, Vernd (2003). Architectural Theory: from the Renaissance to the present. Taschen. p. 845. ISBN 978-3-8228-1699-8.
- "Art & Architecture, #58". Jewels in Her Crown: Treasures of Columbia University Libraries Special Collections. Columbia University Libraries. 2004. Retrieved 2011-02-01.