1562 in Ireland
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|See also:||Other events of 1562
List of years in Ireland
Events from the year 1562 in Ireland.
- January 6 - Shane O'Neill pleads his cause at the Palace of Whitehall in London before Elizabeth I of England, who recognises him as "The O'Neill" and "of Tyrone". He returns to Ireland on 26 May.
- April 12 - Brian O'Neill is murdered by his kinsman Turlough Luineach O'Neill and is succeeded (in the eyes of the English administration of Ireland) as chief of the O'Neills by his brother Hugh.
- November - Shane O'Neill lays waste to Maguire's Country (County Fermanagh).
- The stone bridge and west gate at Galway is completed by Thomas Óge Martyn (mayor for second term 1562-63).
- Henry FitzGerald, 12th Earl of Kildare, nobleman and soldier (d. 1597)
- Murrough O'Brien, 4th Baron Inchiquin, nobleman (d. 1597)
- John Rider, Latin lexicographer and Anglican Bishop of Killaloe from 1612 to 1632 (d. 1632)
- Approximate date
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)|
|This year in Ireland article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|