1562 in literature
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in literature (table)|
|... 1552 . 1553 . 1554 . 1555 . 1556 . 1557 . 1558 ...
1559 1560 1561 -1562- 1563 1564 1565
... 1566 . 1567 . 1568 . 1569 . 1570 . 1571 . 1572 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
This is a list of literature-related events in 1562.
- January 18 - First performance of Thomas Norton and Thomas Sackville's play Gorboduc before Queen Elizabeth I of England. It is the first known English tragedy and the first English-language play to employ blank verse.
- February 14 - French poet Pierre de Bocosel de Chastelard is discovered hiding under the bed of Mary, Queen of Scots. He is executed about a week later.
- July 12 - Fray Diego de Landa, acting Bishop of Yucatán, burns the Maya codices (sacred books of the Maya) during the Spanish conquest of Yucatán.
- Magdeburg Centuries, volumes V and VI
- Melchior Cano - De Locis theologicis (posthumously published)
- Petrus Ramus - Grammaire française
- Richard Smyth - De Missa Sacrificio
- Jacques de la Taille - Maniére de faire des vers en français comme en grec et en Latin
- January 20 - Ottavio Rinuccini, poet (died 1621)
- March 27 - Jacob Gretser, Jesuit writer (died 1625)
- August - Bartolomé Leonardo de Argensola, poet and historian (died 1631)
- November 25 - Lope de Vega, poet and dramatist (died 1635)
- date unknown
- February - Pierre de Bocosel de Chastelard, poet (born 1540) (executed)
- July 23 - Götz von Berlichingen, German knight immortalised by Goethe (born c.1480)
- September 5 - Katharina Zell, Protestant writer (born c. 1497)
- November 6 - Achille Bocchi, Italian humanist writer (born 1488)
- November 12 - Pietro Martire Vermigli, theologian (born 1499)
- probable - George Cavendish, biographer (born 1494)