From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Centuries:||15th century – 16th century – 17th century|
|Decades:||1540s 1550s 1560s – 1570s – 1580s 1590s 1600s|
|Years:||1571 1572 1573 – 1574 – 1575 1576 1577|
|1574 by topic|
|Arts and science|
|Lists of leaders|
|Birth and death categories|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Ab urbe condita||2327|
|Bahá'í calendar||-270 – -269|
|English Regnal year||16 Eliz. 1 – 17 Eliz. 1|
|Chinese calendar||癸酉年 (Water Rooster)
4270 or 4210
— to —
甲戌年 (Wood Dog)
4271 or 4211
|- Vikram Samvat||1630–1631|
|- Shaka Samvat||1496–1497|
|- Kali Yuga||4675–4676|
|Japanese calendar||Tenshō 2
|Minguo calendar||338 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||2117|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1574.|
- February 23 – The fifth War of Religion against the Huguenots begins in France.
- April 14 – Battle of Mookerheyde: Spanish forces under Sancho de Avila defeat the rebel forces of Louis of Nassau, who is killed.
- May 30 – On the death of King Charles IX of France of France, he is succeeded by his brother King Henry of Poland, who becomes King Henry III of France. His mother, Catherine de' Medici, acts as Regent until Henry arrives from Poland.
- June 10 – Manila gains cityhood.
- August 30 – Guru Ram Das becomes the fourth of the Sikh gurus.
- October 3 – The city of Leiden, besieged by the Spanish, is relieved by a Sea Beggars fleet under Louis Boisot.
- November 22 – The Juan Fernández Islands in the South Pacific Ocean are discovered by Spanish sailor Juan Fernández.
- November 29 – Limahong and Juan de Salcedo quarrel during the Battle of Manila.
- December – Murad III succeeds Selim II as Ottoman Emperor.
- Prince El-Mirza of Kakheti is defeated in his bid for the throne by his half-brother, Alexander II.
- La Alameda, Seville, is laid out in Spain as Europe's first public garden.
- January 17 – Robert Fludd, English Rosicrucian and Paracelsian physicist (d. 1637)
- March 4 – Carl Gyllenhielm, Swedish soldier and politician (d. 1650)
- March 7 – John Wilbye, English composer (date of baptism) (d. 1638)
- May 6 – Pope Innocent X (d. 1655)
- June – Richard Barnfield, English poet (d. 1627)
- July 1 – Joseph Hall, English bishop and satirist (d. 1656)
- August 7 – Robert Dudley, styled Earl of Warwick, English explorer and geographer (d. 1649)
- September – Thomas Gataker, English clergyman and theologian (d. 1654)
- September 6 – Luis Sotelo, Franciscan friar (d. 1624)
- October 14 – Anne of Denmark, queen of James VI of Scotland (d. 1619)
- date unknown
- January 26 – Martin Helwig, German cartographer of Silesia (b. 1516)
- January 30 – Damião de Góis, Portuguese philosopher (b. 1502)
- April 14 – Louis of Nassau, Dutch general (b. 1538)
- April 17 – Joachim Camerarius, German classical scholar (b. 1500)
- April 21 – Cosimo I de' Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany (b. 1519)
- April 30 – Joseph Boniface de La Molle, Provençale lover of Marguerite de Valois (b. 1530)
- May 14 – Guru Amar Das, third Sikh Guru (b. 1479)
- May 30 – King Charles IX of France (b. 1550)
- June 26 – Gabriel, comte de Montgomery, captain of the Scottish Guard of Henry II of France (b. 1530)
- June 27 – Giorgio Vasari, Italian painter and architect (b. 1511)
- August 27 – Bartolomeo Eustachi, Italian anatomist.
- September 17 – Pedro Menéndez de Avilés, first Spanish Governor of Florida (b. 1519)
- October 1 – Marten Jacobszoon Heemskerk van Veen, Dutch painter (b. 1498)
- November 28 – Georg Major, German Protestant theologian (b. 1502)
- December 4 – Georg Joachim Rheticus, German mathematician and cartographer (b. 1514)
- December 12 – Selim II, Ottoman Sultan (b. 1524)
- December 26 – Charles of Guise, French cardinal (b. 1527)
- date unknown