1577 in Ireland
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|See also:||Other events of 1577
List of years in Ireland
- 11 January - Palesmen send delegates to England to complain of the burden of the cess.
- June - James FitzMaurice FitzGerald is in Spain plotting rebellion in Ireland with the support of Pope Gregory XIII.
- 25 October - Brian O'Rourke agrees with Sir Nicholas Malby (Lord President of Connaught) for payment to the English crown for his lordship of West Bréifne.
- November - Great Comet of 1577 visible.
- November/December - Massacre of Mullaghmast: The Ó Moores and O'Connors have most of their fine (or ruling families) massacred by English soldiers at Mullaghmast (County Kildare) having been invited there for peace talks.
- Destruction of Athenry by Aodh mac Maghnusa Ó Domhnaill.
- 4 January - William Walsh, Roman Catholic Bishop of Meath (b. c.1512)
- Richard Talbot, judge (b. c.1520)