1581 in poetry
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in poetry (table)|
|... 1571 . 1572 . 1573 . 1574 . 1575 . 1576 . 1577 ...
1578 1579 1580 -1581- 1582 1583 1584
... 1585 . 1586 . 1587 . 1588 . 1589 . 1590 . 1591 ...
In literature: 1578 1579 1580 -1581- 1582 1583 1584
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
- Italian poet Torquato Tasso's epic poem Jerusalem Delivered (La Gerusalemme liberata) is first published complete, a pirated edition printed in Parma being followed by an authorized edition from Ferrara, where the poet is confined in the Ospedale di Sant'Anna. Also this year, Aldus Manutius the Younger prints a selection of Tasso's lyrics and prose in Venice.
- Anonymous, A Triumph for True Subjects, and a Terrour unto al Tratiours, ballad on the execution of Edmund Campion on December 1, 1561, attributed to William Elderton, who was likely not the author
- Sir Philip SIdney, An Apology for Poetry
- Marie de Romieu, Premières Œuvres poetiques de MaDamoiselle Marie de Romieu Vivaroise, France
- Philippe Desportes, an edition of his works; France
- Torquato Tasso, Jerusalem Delivered (La Gerusalemme liberata), Italy
- Hywel ap Syr Mathew (born unknown), Welsh poet, genealogist and soldier
- Paul Speratus died (born 1484), German
- Mikolaj Sep Szarzynski died (born c. 1550), Polish
- Surdas, died sometime from this year to 1584 (born 1478 or 1479), Indian, Hindi poet and saint who wrote in the Brij Bhasha dialect
- 16th century in poetry
- 16th century in literature
- Dutch Renaissance and Golden Age literature
- Elizabethan literature
- French Renaissance literature
- Renaissance literature
- Spanish Renaissance literature
- University Wits
- Oxford World's Classics ed.
- Cox, Michael, editor, The Concise Oxford Chronology of English Literature, Oxford University Press, 2004, ISBN 0-19-860634-6
- Weinberg, Bernard, ed., French Poetry of the Renaissance, Carbondale, Illinois: Southern Illinois University Press, Arcturus Books edition, October 1964, fifth printing, August 1974 (first printed in France in 1954), ISBN 0-8093-0135-0, "Phillipe Desportes" p 157
- Preminger, Alex; Brogan, T. V. F. et al. (1993). The New Princeton Encyclopedia of Poetry and Poetics. New York: MJF Books/Fine Communications.