1588 in Scotland
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|1588 in Scotland|
|1586 | 1587 | 1588 | 1589 | 1590|
Events from 1588 in Scotland
Monarch - James VI
- 6 February - General Assembly of the Church of Scotland called to defend against the Spanish Armada.
- 12 August - The fleeing Spanish Armada sails past the Firth of Forth, and the English call off their pursuit. Much of the Spanish fleet is destroyed by storms as it sails for home around Scotland and Ireland. On 27 September, El Gran Grifón is wrecked on Fair Isle; and on 5 November the San Juan de Silicia is said to have been destroyed by explosion having sought shelter off Tobermory, Mull.
- 15 May - John Moore, planter in Ulster (died 1648 in Ireland)
- David Forrester, divine (died 1633)
- Between 1 April & 5 November - George Gordon, bishop of Galloway
- 16 July - Agnes Keith, Countess of Moray (born c.1540)
- 4 August - Archibald Douglas, 8th Earl of Angus (born 1555)
- 4 November - Robert Mor Munro, 15th Baron of Foulis
- "The Spanish Armada in Scotland". Paisley Tartan Army. September 2008. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
|This Scottish history-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|