1593 in Scotland
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|1593 in Scotland|
|1591 | 1592 | 1593 | 1594 | 1595|
Events from 1593 in Scotland
Monarch - James VI
- 12 November - Decree orders Catholics to give up their faith or leave the country.
- 7 December - Battle of Dryfe Sands: the Clan Johnstone defeat the Clan Maxwell at Skipmyre, just west of Lockerbie, and Lord Maxwell is killed.
- Marischal College is founded in Aberdeen by George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal.
- Emergence of the Presbytery of Glasgow within the developing Presbyterian polity.
- The Banffshire constituency is first represented in the Parliament of Scotland (by Sir Walter Ogilvie).
- 13 April - Thomas Wentworth, 1st Earl of Strafford, English politician (executed 1641)
- 2 May - John Forbes of Corse, theologian (died 1648)
- Robert Blair, moderator (died 1666)
- 16 January - Laurence Oliphant, 4th Lord Oliphant (born 1529)
- 4 February - Robert Stewart, 1st Earl of Orkney (born 1533/4)
- 26 May - William Baillie, Lord Provand, judge
- 23 August - Adam Bothwell, bishop, judge and politician (born c.1527)
- 26 September - William Chisholm, bishop of Dunblane (born 1525/6)
- 7 December - John Maxwell, 8th Lord Maxwell (born 1553)
- William Ashby, English politician
- William Forbes of Corsindae
- "Dryfe Sands 1593".
- "Marischal College 1593-1858". NAHSTE.
- "Sir Thomas Wentworth, 1st Earl of Strafford, 1593-1641". BCW Project. 2007-09-19.
|This Scottish history-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|