1603 in Ireland
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|See also:||Other events of 1603
List of years in Ireland
Events from the year 1603 in Ireland.
- 24 March - James VI of Scotland becomes King James I of England and Ireland upon the death of Elizabeth I in England (but the news is withheld from the Irish leaders in treaty negotiations).
- 31 March - The Nine Years War (1595-1603) is ended by the submission of Hugh O'Neill, Earl of Tyrone, to the English Crown and the signing of the Treaty of Mellifont.
- November - Geoffrey Keating is one of forty students who sail for Bordeaux under the charge of the Rev. Diarmaid MacCarthy to begin their studies at the Irish College which has just been founded in that city by Cardinal François de Sourdis, Archbishop of Bordeaux.
- Ballintubber Abbey is suppressed.
- Sir Edmund Pelham, Chief Baron of the Irish Exchequer since 1602, holds the first assizes in Ulster, at Donegal.
- 24 March - Queen Elizabeth I of England and Ireland (born 1533)