1608 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in art (table)|
|... 1598 . 1599 . 1600 . 1601 . 1602 . 1603 . 1604 ...
1605 1606 1607 -1608- 1609 1610 1611
... 1612 . 1613 . 1614 . 1615 . 1616 . 1617 . 1618 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
- August - Caravaggio is arrested and imprisoned for his part in a brawl. He subsequently escapes and flees Malta.
- December 1 - The senior Knights of Malta, after verifying that Caravaggio has failed to appear before them although summoned four times, vote unanimously to expel their putridum et foetidum ex-brother.
- Hendrick Avercamp moves from Amsterdam to Kampen.
- Hendrick Avercamp - Winter Landscape with Iceskaters (approximate date)
- Marcus Gheeraerts the Younger - Portrait of a boy aged two
- Frans Pourbus the Younger - Marguerite of Savoy, Duchess of Gonzaga, Duchess of Mantua
- Carlo Saraceni - Landscape with Salmacis and Hermaphroditus (approximate date)
- April/May - Pieter Post, Dutch architect, painter and printmaker (died 1669)
- October 30 - Lazzaro Morelli, sculptor (died 1690)
- date unknown
- Salvi Castellucci, Italian painter active in Arezzo (died 1672)
- Niccolo Laniere, Italian painter and engraver (died 1646)
- Willem de Poorter, Dutch painter (died 1648)
- Francisco Salmerón, Spanish painter (died 1632)
- Giacomo Torelli, Italian set designer and engraver (died 1678)
- Pieter van Abeele, Dutch medallist and coiner in Amsterdam (died 1684)
- Abraham Wuchters, Dutch-Danish painter and engraver (died 1682)
- (born 1608/1612): Giovanni Stefano Danedi Italian painter of frescoes (died 1690)
- June - Bernardo Buontalenti, Italian stage designer, architect, theatrical designer, military engineer and artist (born 1536)
- June 5 - Ippolito Andreasi, painter (born 1548)
- July 26 - Pablo de Céspedes, Spanish painter, poet, and architect (born 1538)
- August 13 - Giambologna, sculptor of marble and bronze statuary (born 1529)
- October 11 – Giovanni Ambrogio Figino, Italian painter (born c.1549/1551)
- October 26 - Juan Pantoja de la Cruz, Spanish painter (born 1553)
- November 14 - Bartolomeo Carducci, Italian painter (born 1560)
- date unknown
- The discovery of the evidence for this brawl was reported by Dr Keith Sciberras of the University of Malta, in "Frater Michael Angelus in tumultu: the cause of Caravaggio's imprisonment in Malta", The Burlington Magazine, CXLV, April 2002, pp.229–232, and "Riflessioni su Malta al tempo del Caravaggio", Paragone Arte, Anno LII N.629, July 2002, pp.3–20. Sciberras' findings are summarised online at Caravaggio.com.