1638 in music
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in music (table)|
|... 1628 . 1629 . 1630 . 1631 . 1632 . 1633 . 1634 ...
1635 1636 1637 -1638- 1639 1640 1641
... 1642 . 1643 . 1644 . 1645 . 1646 . 1647 . 1648 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
The year 1638 in music involved some significant events.
- February 6 – Luminalia, a masque written by Sir William Davenant and designed by Inigo Jones, is staged at the English Court. The work features music by Nicholas Lanier.
- Claudio Monteverdi – Madrigali guerrieri, et amorosi con alcuni opuscoli in genere rappresentativo, che saranno per brevi Episodij fra i canti senza gesto. Libro ottavo di Claudio Monteverde Maestro di Capella della Serenissima Republica di Venetia (eighth book of madrigals a5), published in Venice
- Nicolas Formé – Ecce tu pulchra es, a double choir motet
- Benedetto Ferrari and Francesco Manelli – La maga fulminata, premiéred at Teatro San Cassiano, in Venice
- Michelangelo Rossi – Andromeda, premiered in Ferrara.
- July 15 – Giovanni Buonaventura Viviani, Italian composer and violinist (d. c. 1693)
- date unknown
- Diogo Dias Melgás, composer (died 1700)
- January 21 – Ignazio Donati, composer (born c.1570)
- May 27 – Nicolas Formé, French composer (born 1567)
- September – John Wilbye, composer (born 1574)
- November 6 - Gabriel Díaz Bessón, composer (born 1590)
- date unknown - Francis Pilkington, composer, lutenist and singer (born c.1565)
- probable – Settimia Caccini, composer and singer (born 1591)