||This article may contain excessive, poor, or irrelevant examples. (June 2014)|
|Cardinal||one hundred sixty-three|
(one hundred and sixty-third)
163 figures in an approximation of π, in which .
163 figures in an approximation of e, in which .
The function gives prime values for all values of between 0 and 39, and for approximately half of all values are prime. 163 appears as a result of solving , which gives .
appears in the Ramanujan constant, in which almost equals the integer 262537412640768744 = 6403203 + 744. Martin Gardner famously asserted that this identity was exact in a 1975 April Fools' hoax in Scientific American; in fact the value is 262537412640768743.99999999999925007259...
In the US military
- USNS Parkersburg (T-AO-163) was a United States Navy tanker ship during World War II
- USS Barracuda (SS-163) was a diesel-electric submarine during World War II
- USS Blount (AK-163) was a United States Navy Alamosa class cargo ship during World War II
- USS Cinnabar (IX-163) was a United States Navy Trefoil class concrete barge during World War II
- USS Concise (AM-163) was a United States Navy Admirable-class minesweeper during World War II
- USS Eastland (APA-163) was a United States Navy Haskell-class attack transport during World War II
- USS Livingston (AP-163) was a United States Navy Crater-class cargo ship during World War II
- USS McConnell (DE-163) was a United States Navy Cannon-class destroyer escort during World War II
- USS Utina (ATF-163) was a United States Navy Abnaki class fleet ocean tug following World War II
- USS Vedette (SP-163) was a commercial yacht during World War I
- USS Walker (DD-163) was a United States Navy Wickes class destroyer during World War I
- 163rd Fighter Squadron, a unit of the Indiana Air National Guard, flies the F-16C/D Fighting Falcon
In American sports
- Russ Howell at the Long Beach, California World Championship in 1977 performed a world record 163 full rotations in freestyle skateboarding tricks[importance?]
- In darts, 163 is the least number that cannot be shot with three darts on a standard dart board
- Peugeot Type 163 automobile produced from 1919 to 1924
- Messerschmitt Me 163 Komet was a German rocket-powered fighter aircraft. during World War II
- Intervale Avenue –163rd Street subway station, Bronx, New York subway station on the IRT White Plains Road Line of the New York City Subway in the USA.
- 163rd Street–Amsterdam Avenue station on the IND Eighth Avenue Line of the New York City Subway in America.
- The Bunche Park Metrorail station in Bunche Park, Florida, USA, at Northwest 163rd Street and 27th Avenue, set to open in 2014
- Saudi Arabian Airlines Flight 163 caught fire at Riyadh's International Airport en route from Karachi, Pakistan on August 19, 1980
- Iraqi Airways Flight 163, en route from Baghdad's Baghdad International Airport to Amman, Jordan, was hijacked and crashed on December 25, 1986
- List of highways numbered 163
In other fields
163 is also:
- 163 AH is a year in the Islamic calendar that corresponds to 779 – 780 CE
- The atomic number of an element temporarily called Unhextrium
- CD163 (Cluster of Differentiation 163) is a human protein encoded by the CD163 gene
- The Glossen Opus 163 waltz by Johann Strauss II (1855)
- The number of days following the first day of Passover (Pesach), used to calculate the date of Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year.
- 163 (disambiguation)
- United Nations Security Council Resolution 163
- United States Supreme Court cases, Volume 163
- Wells, D. (1987). The Penguin Dictionary of Curious and Interesting Numbers (pp. 141–142). London: Penguin Group.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 163 (number).|
- Clark, Alex. "163 and Ramanujan Constant". Numberphile. Brady Haran.
- The Number 163
- The Positive Integer 163
- Prime curiosities: 163
- 163.com website from NetEase
- The coolest number is 163
- 163, the Monster and Number Theory
- VirtueScience: 163
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local Union 163
- US Highway 163
- Planetmath.Org 163