1654 in England
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|See also:||Other events of 1654|
Events from the year 1654 in The Protectorate.
- Lord Protector - Oliver Cromwell
- 20 March - Establishment of Commission of Triers which will fill empty Anglican benefices with Puritan ministers.
- 5 April - Signing of the Treaty of Westminster ends the First Anglo-Dutch War, and the Dutch agree to observe the Navigation Acts.
- 11 April - Anglo-Swedish alliance: A commercial treaty between England and Sweden is signed.
- 12 April - Oliver Cromwell creates a union between England and Scotland, with Scottish representation in the Parliament of England.
- 10 July - Peter Vowell and John Gerard are executed in London for plotting to assassinate Cromwell.
- August - Cromwell launches the 'Western Design', an expedition to the Caribbean to counter Spanish commercial interests, effectively beginning the Anglo-Spanish War (which will last until after the Restoration in 1660). The fleet leaves Portsmouth in late December.
- 3 September - First Protectorate Parliament assembles.
- 10 January - Joshua Barnes, scholar (died 1712)
- 22 January - Richard Blackmore, physician and writer (died 1729)
- 22 February - Elizabeth Monck, Duchess of Albemarle (died 1734)
- 27 April - Charles Blount, deist (died 1693)
- 23 June - Richard Onslow, 1st Baron Onslow, politician (died 1717)
- John Bellers, educationist (died 1725)
- Algernon Capell, 2nd Earl of Essex (died 1710)
- 8 February - John Talbot, 10th Earl of Shrewsbury (born 1601)
- 3 June - Alethea Howard, Countess of Arundel (born 1585)
- 28 June - John Southworth, martyr (born 1592)
- July - Thomas Gataker, clergy (born 1574)
- 10 July - Peter Vowell, Royalist conspirator (year of birth unknown)
- 30 November
- Sir William Brockman, military leader and politician (born 1595)
- Edmund Chilmead, writer (born 1610)
- Nicholas Culpeper, astrologer (born 1616)
- Roger Dodsworth, antiquary (born 1585)
- Palmer, Alan; Palmer, Veronica (1992). The Chronology of British History. London: Century Ltd. pp. 185–186. ISBN 0-7126-5616-2.
- Plant, David (2010-04-18). "1654". British Civil Wars, Commonwealth and Protectorate, 1638-60. Retrieved 2012-07-10.
- Williams, Hywel (2005). Cassell's Chronology of World History. London: Weidenfeld & Nicolson. p. 266. ISBN 0-304-35730-8.