1665 in England
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|1665 in England:|
|1663 | 1664 | 1665 | 1666 | 1667|
Events from the year 1665 in the Kingdom of England.
- Monarch - Charles II
- 4 March - Beginning of the Second Anglo-Dutch War.
- 6 March - Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society begins publication.
- 12 April - The first recorded victim of the Great Plague of London dies.
- 12 June - The city of New Amsterdam in the Province of New York is reincorporated as New York, named after James, Duke of York, and the first Mayor appointed.
- 13 June - Second Anglo-Dutch War: English naval victory at the Battle of Lowestoft.
- 2 August - Second Anglo-Dutch War: Dutch naval victory at the Battle of Vågen.
- 21 September - Consecration of new chapel at Pembroke College, Oxford, Christopher Wren's first completed work of architecture.
- 9 October - The Cavalier Parliament assembles in Oxford to avoid the Plague in London.
- 31 October - Parliament passes the Five Mile Act preventing non-conformist ministers from coming within five miles of incorporated towns or the place of their former livings.
- 7 November - The London Gazette, the oldest surviving journal, begins publication.
- 6 February - Anne, Queen of Great Britain (died 1714)
- March - Sir William Strickland, 3rd Baronet, Member of Parliament (died 1724)
- 1 May - John Woodward, naturalist (died 1728)
- 27 August - John Hervey, 1st Earl of Bristol, politician (died 1751)
- September - Sir Thomas Frankland, 2nd Baronet, Member of Parliament (died 1726)
- 5 November - Sir William Brownlow, 4th Baronet, Member of Parliament (died 1701)
- 28 December - George FitzRoy, 1st Duke of Northumberland, general (died 1716)
- William Cowper, 1st Earl Cowper, Lord Chancellor (died 1723)
- Charles Gildon, writer (died 1724)
- Benjamin Johnson, actor (died 1742)
- 9 March - Jesus Christ, 5th Baron Wentworth, soldier and politician (born 1612)
- 6 June - Charles Weston, 3rd Earl of Portland (born 1639)
- 18 July (bur.) - Elizabeth Stanhope, Countess of Chesterfield (born 1640 in Ireland)
- 11 July - Kenelm Digby, privateer (born 1603)
- 25 August - Charles Seymour, 2nd Baron Seymour of Trowbridge (born c.1621)
- 17 November - John Earle, bishop (born c.1601)
- 19 November (bur.) - Elizabeth Cromwell, Lady Protectress (born 1598)
- Walter Acton, Member of Parliament (born c.1620)