1676 in England
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|See also:||Other events of 1676|
Events from the year 1676 in the Kingdom of England.
- Monarch - Charles II
- 18 February - Isaac Newton observes to Robert Hooke that "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants".
- 2 March - First performance of George Etherege's play The Man of Mode.
- 26 May - Fire in Southwark destroys 625 houses.
- September to November - Major influenza epidemic; the first to be recorded as such.
- 11 December - First performance of William Wycherley's play The Plain Dealer.
- Construction begins on Trinity College Library in Cambridge, designed by Sir Christopher Wren.
- The Royal Greenwich Observatory in London, designed by Wren, is completed.
- Consecration of the first Greek Orthodox church in England, at Hog Lane, London.
- The first fossilised bone of what is now known to be a dinosaur is discovered by Robert Plot, the femur of a Megalosaurus from a limestone quarry at Cornwell near Chipping Norton.
- 19 January - John Weldon, composer (died 1736)
- baptised 30 January - Charles Fane, 1st Viscount Fane, courtier and landowner (died 1744)
- 14 June - Sir John Rogers, 2nd Baronet, lawyer and politician (died 1744)
- 21 June (Old Style) - Anthony Collins, philosopher (died 1729)
- 26 August - Robert Walpole, first Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (died 1745)
- 14 November - Benjamin Hoadly, clergy (died 1761)
- 29 November - Sir Henry Bunbury, 3rd Baronet, politician (died 1733)
- 30 December - John Philips, poet (died 1709)
- 22 March - Lady Anne Clifford, literary patron (born 1590)
- 23 May (bur.) - William Samwell, architect (born 1628)
- 12 July - Henry Stubbe, writer and scholar (born 1632; drowned)
- 10 September - Gerrard Winstanley, religious reformer (born 1609)
- 11 October - Anthony Terill, theologian (born 1623)
- 25 December -
- Chesten Marchant, last monoglot speaker of the Cornish language
- "1676: Science." The People's Chronology. Ed. Jason M. Everett. Gale Group, Inc., 2006. eNotes.com. 2006. 11 Oct, 2007
- Palmer, Alan & Veronica (1992). The Chronology of British History. London: Century Ltd. pp. 193–194. ISBN 0-7126-5616-2.
- Sarjeant, William A.S. (1997). "The earliert discoveries". In Farlow, James O.; Brett-Surman, Michael K. (eds). The Complete Dinosaur. Bloomington: Indiana University Press. pp. 3–11. ISBN 0-253-33349-0.