1680 in England
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|1680 in England:|
|1678 | 1679 | 1680 | 1681 | 1682|
Events from the year 1680 in the Kingdom of England.
- Monarch - Charles II
- 21 October - Charles II's fourth Parliament (the "Exclusion Bill Parliament", summoned in 1679) assembles. The term Whig comes to be used for those in favour of the Exclusion Bill and Tory for those who oppose it.
- 4 November - A second Exclusion Bill is proposed to exclude the Catholic James, Duke of York from inheriting the throne.
- 15 November - The Exclusion Bill is defeated in the House of Lords.
- 7 December - William Howard, 1st Viscount Stafford, is condemned to death by perjured evidence in the House of Lords for conspiracy in the supposed "Popish Plot".
- undated - First fire insurance office established, the Phoenix.
- 23 January - Joseph Ames, author (died 1759)
- 14 February - John Sidney, 6th Earl of Leicester, privy councillor (died 1737)
- 20 June - Sir John Aubrey, 3rd Baronet, politician (died 1743)
- 12 October - Arthur Collier, philosopher (died 1732)
- Blackbeard, pirate (died 1718)
- John Colson, mathematician (died 1760)
- Barnabas Gunn, organist and composer (died 1753)
- John Machin, mathematician (died 1752)
- 14 January (New Style) - George Carteret, statesman (born c.1610)
- 17 February - Denzil Holles, 1st Baron Holles, statesman and writer (born 1599)
- 16 May - Sir William Blackett, 1st Baronet, of Matfen, Member of Parliament (born 1620)
- 22 May - Richard Sawkins, pirate (year of birth unknown)
- 25 September - Samuel Butler, poet (born 1612)
- 26 July - John Wilmot, 2nd Earl of Rochester, poet (born 1647)
- 20 August - William Bedloe, informer (born 1650)
- 24 August - Thomas Blood, thief of the English Crown Jewels (born 1618)
- 9 September - Henry Marten, regicide (born 1602)
- 11 September - Roger Crab, Puritan political writer (born 1621)
- 30 November - Peter Lely, painter (born 1618)
- 8 December - Henry Pierrepont, 1st Marquess of Dorchester, politician (born 1606)
- 29 December - William Howard, 1st Viscount Stafford, martyr (born 1614)
- Cornelius Essex, pirate (year of birth unknown)
- Sir James Harrington, 3rd Baronet, Member of Parliament (born 1607)
- Williams, Hywel (2005). Cassell's Chronology of World History. London: Weidenfeld & Nicolson. pp. 278–279. ISBN 0-304-35730-8.
- Holmes, Peter (2004). "Howard, William, Viscount Stafford (1612–1680)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press. Retrieved 2011-03-22. (subscription or UK public library membership required)