1688 in Ireland
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|See also:||Other events of 1688
List of years in Ireland
Events from the year 1688 in Ireland.
- Dame Mary Joseph Butler establishes a Benedictine house in Dublin.
- November 16 - Exiled Irish Catholic widow "Goody" Ann Glover becomes the last person hanged in Boston, Massachusetts, as a witch.
- December 7 - Start of the Siege of Derry. The city gates are locked against the forces of King James II by apprentice boys.
- March 15 - Peter Valesius Walsh, politician (b. c. 1618)
- July 21 - James Butler, 1st Duke of Ormonde, Anglo-Irish statesman and soldier (b. 1610)
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Nolan, Patrick (1913). "Mary Joseph Butler". In Herbermann, Charles. Catholic Encyclopedia. Robert Appleton Company.
- Historical Records and Studies 17: 70-78.
- Hayes, Cathy (2012-05-05). ""Goody" Ann Glover, Irish native was the last witch hanged in Boston". IrishCentral. New York. Retrieved 2012-07-16.
- "Parades and Marches - Chronology 2: Historical Dates and Events". Conflict Archive on the Internet (CAIN). Retrieved 2010-01-28.