1690 in science
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in science (table)|
|... 1680 . 1681 . 1682 . 1683 . 1684 . 1685 . 1686 ...
1687 1688 1689 -1690- 1691 1692 1693
... 1694 . 1695 . 1696 . 1697 . 1698 . 1699 . 1700 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
- Giovanni Cassini observes differential rotation within Jupiter's atmosphere.
- December – Earliest recorded sightings of the planet Uranus, by John Flamsteed, who mistakenly catalogues it as the star 34 Tauri.
- French horticulturalist Jean-Baptiste de La Quintinie's Instruction pour les jardins fruitiers et potagers is published posthumously.
- Izeki Tomotoki (井関 知辰?) of Osaka publishes Sampo-Hakki (算法発揮), in which he gives the resultant and the Laplace formula of the determinant for the n×n case. At about this date, Tanaka Yoshizane ( 田中 由真?) also describes and applies the resultant, in Sampo-Funkai (算法紛解).
- Justine Siegemund publishes Die Kgl. Preußische und Chur-Brandenburgische Hof-Wehemutter ("The Court Midwife"), the first medical textbook in German written by a woman.
- February 3 – America's first paper money is printed in the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
- French physicist Denis Papin, while in Leipzig and having observed the mechanical power of atmospheric pressure on his 'digester', builds a working model of a reciprocating steam engine for pumping water, the first of its kind, though not efficient.