|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (August 2014)|
|Origin||London, United Kingdom|
|Associated acts||Chase and Status, Björk, Noisia, Amon Tobin|
|Past members||Eddie Jefferys
16bit were an electronic music and production duo from London, UK, consisting of Eddie Jefferys and Jason Morrison. They were signed to Chase & Status' MTA Records, and best known for their work with Björk.
16bit were Eddie Jeffreys from South London and Jason Morrison from Ashford, Kent. Both became interested in electronic music at an early age, citing jungle, trance and garage as their main influences. They were best known for producing dubstep and made their debut release in January 2008 with In The Death Car EP featuring the track "Chainsaw Calligraphy" which was recognised for its innovative qualities at the time.
The duo co-produced "Crystalline", Björk's first single off her 2011 album Biophilia, and "Mutual Core" off Björk's 2011 album Biophilia. They subsequently remixed both "Mutual Core" and "Hollow". The album was nominated for two Grammy awards. Jefferys and Morrison went to Brooklyn where they worked with the artist for a week. Björk explained that "I was really torn about whether to use their version of ‘Hollow’ on the album. Their beats for ‘Crystalline’ and ‘Mutual Core’ made it on there, but in the end ‘Hollow’ wound up on the remix album". While Jeffrey said of the collaboration that "working with such abstract time signatures was definitely a strange mix of confusing and enjoyable. She has been so successful without compromising her music or herself.” British rapper Professor Green announced via Twitter that 16bit were to produce his single "At Your Inconvenience". In 2012, the duo had also produced the track "I Am the Narrator" from Plan B's third studio album iLL Manors.
16bit won 'Best Mix' at the 2010 Dubstep Forum Awards for their 'Milky Pie Mix' and came second top in the Best Producer category. Although they stated that the intention was to release a full-length album, it never materialised. In mid-2012, the duo split to pursue solo production careers for unknown reasons. Jefferys relocated to Chicago.
Eddie Jefferys is currently working under the alias Moody Good. He released his debut album with MTA Records and OWSLA on 2 June 2014. Jefferys also produced a single for the rap group Foreign Beggars entitled "Anywhere" and provided additional production for the Chase & Status track "Gangsta Boogie".
Jason Morrison was also working on his own solo project known as The 13, but he eventually decided to retire the project.
Albums and EPs
- Put Ya Dirt Inside/Ford Fiesta (10") (2008) [Destpub]
- PCP/President Of Europe (12") (2008) [Urban Essentials]
- Texaco (12") (2009) [Veri Lo Records]
- In The Death Car EP (12") (2009) [Boka Records]
- Cobra/Jump/Can You Show Me What Head Is (12") (2009) [Southside Dubstars]
- Swine Flu/What Time Is It? (12") (2009) [Audio Freaks]
- The Tale Of The Exploding Fist EP (12") (2009) [Southside Dubstars]
- Serum (12") (2009) [Mindset]
- Panic (12") (2010) [Heavy Artillery]
- Chainsaw Calligraphy EP (12") (2010) [Boka Records]
- 16 Bit Edition 1 (12") (2011) [Together As One]
- 16 Bit Edition 2 (12") (2011) [Together As One]
- FRZR9000/Skullcrack (12") (2011) [MTA Records]
- Dinosaurs/Boston Cream (12") (2011) [MTA Records]
- Plan B - "She Said"
- Torqux - "Relentless"
- SKiSM - "The Blank"
- Propatingz feat. Dakini - "Babylons Scared"
- Noisia - "Machine Gun"
- Professor Green - "Jungle"
- Borgore - "Foes"
- Kissy Sellout - "Garden Friends"
- Amon Tobin - "Surge"
- Chase & Status - "Hitz"
- Björk - "Hollow"
- Björk - "Mutual Core"
- Teh, Terence (December 2011). "16 Bit". Dazed & Confused: 76.
- "Moody Good listing" Entry on record company website listing Jeffrey's previous work for the label. Retrieved August 23, 2014.
- The Stranger Music review - 16 Bit : "Chainsaw Calligraphy"
- Lilt Line soundtrack
- bjork - biophilia remix series 6
- Björk's Album 'Biophilia' Up for Two Grammy Awards | All Things Icelandic | Iceland Naturally | Iceland Naturally
- Down, Lauren (November 19, 2012). "“I’ll probably end up being a teacher or something, let’s face it”: Best Fit meets Björk". The Line Best Fit.
- Professor Green Twitter Status update 15 June 2011[unreliable source?]
- Trackitdown - NOISIA / 16BIT SOUNDTRACK NEW TRANSFORMERS TRAILER!
- Juno Plus - Dubstep forum award winners
- Inglese, Elizabeth (June 3, 2014). "Moody Good's Debut Album (and an Exclusive Remix)". Vogue.com.
- MTA Publishing