16th Space Control Squadron
|16th Space Control Squadron|
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Role||Passive Radio Frequency Surveillance|
|Part of||AFSPC/14 AF/21 SW|
|Garrison/HQ||Peterson AFB, Colorado|
|Motto||TUTAMINE VICTORIA - From a strong defense, victory|
|Lt Col Mark Guerber|
The United States Air Force's 16th Space Control Squadron is an Air Force Space Command unit located at Peterson AFB, Colorado and assigned to the 21st Space Wing. The 16th SPCS operates the Rapid Attack Identification Detection Reporting System (RAIDRS).
The 16th SPCS is AFSPC's first defensive counterspace unit. The unit is responsible for operating space control capabilities to rapidly achieve flexible and versatile space superiority in support of theater campaigns and USSTRATCOM's Space Superiority mission.
16th SPCS was activated in November 1966 as the 16th Surveillance Squadron, Shemya AFS, Alaska, under Air Defense Command. The unit mission was to operate the Cobra Dane long-range early warning radar system, used to track Soviet missile launches. It was assigned to the 73d Aerospace Surveillance Wing in January 1967 and then to the 14th Aerospace Force in April 1971.
The unit was again reassigned in 1983, this time to the 1st Space Wing as one of the original squadrons in the newly established Air Force Space Command. In 1991, it was assigned to the 73d Space Group. In 1992, the unit was designated the 16th Space Surveillance Squadron. The unit was inactivated in 1994.
Since mid-2005, Operation SILENT SENTRY, operating the predecessor to RAIDRS, called the Satellite Interference Response System (SIRS) has been continually deployed to the Middle East. Since January 2007, operators from the 16 SPCS have provided manpower for the mission.
- 16th Space Control Squadron (2007–Present)
- 16th Space Surveillance Squadron (1992–1993)
- 16th Surveillance Squadron (1966–1992)
- Lt Col Mark Guerber (2013-Present)
- Lt Col Roger Sherman (2011–2013) 
- Lt Col Paul Tombarge (2009–2011)
- Lt Col Edward Allard (2007–2009)
- Lt Col John Perkins (circa 1976)
- Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
- AFSPC Public Affairs: "New squadron activates at Peterson", 16 May 2007 Archived 2 May 2009 at WebCite
- Air Force Association: "Space Almanac 2007", Aug 2007
- Space News.com: "U.S. Air Force System to Pinpoint Interference Sources", 15 Nov 2004 Archived 25 May 2009 at the Wayback Machine
- "Peterson AFB: 16th Space Control Squadron Factsheet". Peterson.af.mil. Archived from the original on 2 May 2009. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- ""Rapid Attack Identification Detection Reporting System Factsheet", circa 2008" (PDF). Secure World Foundation. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- "House of Representatives: “Statement Of General C. Robert Kehler Commander, Air Force Space Command Before The House Armed Services Committee Strategic Forces Subcommittee United States House Of Representatives”," (PDF). Armed Service Committee. March 5, 2008. Archived from U.S. the original (PDF) on 5 November 2010.
- "Peterson AFB: 16th SCS Factsheet". Peterson.af.mil. Archived from the original on 2 May 2009. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- "Cromwell International: "General Information", 10 April 2008". Cromwell-intl.com. Archived from the original on 2 May 2009. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- ""UNITED STATES SPACE COMMAND Space Lexicon, UPAM13-1", 30 Jun 1994". FAS.org. Archived from the original on 2 May 2009. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- "16th Space Control Squadron". Archived from the original on 4 November 2011.
- "The Colorado Springs Gazette: "Peterson at front of battle for radio waves", 4 Jun 2007". Findarticles.com. 4 June 2007. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- "Cass City Chronicle: "TSgt Charles J. Hill is presented the Meritorious Service Medal and accompanying citation at Shemya AFB, Alaska, by Lt Col John Perkins, commander of the 16th Surveillance Squadron", 18 Nov 1976" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- PACAF Special Order GB-250, 1993
- AFSPC Special Order GA-095, 1992
- DAF Special Order GB-280, 1984
- DAF Special Order GB-121, 1983