1714 in poetry
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in poetry (table)|
|... 1704 . 1705 . 1706 . 1707 . 1708 . 1709 . 1710 ...
1711 1712 1713 -1714- 1715 1716 1717
... 1718 . 1719 . 1720 . 1721 . 1722 . 1723 . 1724 ...
In literature: 1711 1712 1713 -1714- 1715 1716 1717
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
- End – Venetian sea-captain Julije Balović begins compilation of the Perast Chronicle, a collection of epic poetry.
- John Danforth (poet), "A Poem, Upon the Much Honoured [...] Mrs. Maria Mather", English, Colonial America
- William Diaper, An Imitation of the Seventeenth Epistle of the First Book of Horace
- Laurence Eusden, A Letter to Mr. Addison, on the King's Accession to the Throne
- Abel Evans, Prae-existence: A poem, in imitation of Milton
- John Gay:
- The Shepherd's Week (pastoral)
- The Fan
- Samuel Jones, Poetical Miscellanies on Several Occasions
- Alexander Pope, The Rape of the Lock: An heroi-comical poem, first edition in an enlarged, five-canto form (see also Miscellaneoous Poems and Translations 1712
- Nicholas Rowe, Poems on Several Occasions
- Richard Steele:
- Jonathan Swift, The First Ode of the Second Book of Horace Paraphras'd, published this year, although the book states "1713"
- John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester, The Works of John Earl of Rochester. Containing Poems, On Several Occasions: His Lordship's Letters To Mr. Savil and Mrs. * * with Valentinian, a Tragedy. Never before Publish'd together, London: Printed for Jacob Tonson, posthumous
- Antoine Houdart de La Motte, an "improved" version of Homer's Iliad, with a preface critical of the poet; France
Death years link to the corresponding "[year] in poetry" article:
- January 1 – Kristijonas Donelaitis, Lithuanian poet (died 1780)
- November 13 – William Shenstone, English poet (died 1763)
- Date not known:
Birth years link to the corresponding "[year] in poetry" article:
- June 25 (buried) – Walter Pope (born 1627), English astronomer and poet
- November 29 – Jerolim Kavanjin (born 1641), Croatian poet
- Nozawa Bonchō 野沢 凡兆 (born c. 1640), Japanese haikai poet
- Benjamin Tompson (born 1642), English Colonial American poet
- List of years in poetry
- List of years in literature
- 18th century in poetry
- 18th century in literature
- Augustan poetry
- Scriblerus Club
- Ludwig, Richard M.; Nault, Clifford A., Jr (1986). Annals of American Literature: 1602–1983. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Cox, Michael, ed. (2004). The Concise Oxford Chronology of English Literature. Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-860634-6.
- Grun, Bernard (1991). The Timetables of History (3rd ed.). p. 326.
- "John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester (1647-1680)". Poetry Foundation. Archived from the original on 2009-05-02. Retrieved 2009-04-11.
- France, Peter (1995). The New Oxford Companion to Literature in French. New York: Oxford University Press. p. 437. ISBN 0-19-866125-8.
- Burt, Daniel S. (2004). The Chronology of American Literature: America's literary achievements from the Colonial era to modern times. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. ISBN 978-0-618-16821-7.
-  "A Timeline of English Poetry" Web page of the Representative Poetry Online Web site, University of Toronto