1725 in literature
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in literature (table)|
|... 1715 . 1716 . 1717 . 1718 . 1719 . 1720 . 1721 ...
1722 1723 1724 -1725- 1726 1727 1728
... 1729 . 1730 . 1731 . 1732 . 1733 . 1734 . 1735 ...
In poetry: 1722 1723 1724 -1725- 1726 1727 1728
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
The year 1725 in literature involved some significant literary events and new works.
- June 12 - Émilie de Breteuil marries Marquis Florent-Claude du Chastellet.
- December - The library of Charles Killigrew, for 48 years the Master of the Revels, is sold a few months after his death.
- In China, 66 copies of a 5,020-volume encyclopedia, the Gujin Tushu Jicheng (Complete Collection of Illustrations and Writings from the Earliest to Current Times) are printed, necessitating the crafting of 250,000 movable type characters cast in bronze.
- Joseph Addison - Miscellanies
- The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abramelin the Mage (first printed edition)
- Thomas Cooke - The Battle of the Poets (satire of Alexander Pope)
- Mary Davys - The Works of Mrs. Davys
- Daniel Defoe - The Complete English Tradesman
- George Bubb Dodington - An Epistle to Sir Robert Walpole
- John Dyer - A New Miscellany
- Laurence Echard - The History of the Revelation
- Benjamin Franklin - A Dissertation on Liberty and Necessity, Pleasure and Pain
- Zacharey Grey - A Defence of Our Antient and Modern Historians (against John Oldmixon)
- Eliza Haywood
- Memoirs of a Certain Island Adjacent to the Kingdom of Utopia
- Secret Histories, Novels and Poems
- Francis Hutcheson - An Inquiry into the Original of Our Ideas of Beauty and Virtue (on aesthetics)
- John Oldmixon - A Review of Dr. Zachary Grey's Defence
- Richardson Pack - A New Collection of Miscellanies
- Christopher Pitt - Vida's Art of Poetry (transl. of Marco Girolamo Vida)
- Alexander Pope - The Odyssey of Homer vols. i - iii.
- Richard Savage - The Authors of the Town
- William Shakespeare - The Works of Shakespear (edited by Pope)
- Jonathan Swift - Fraud Detected; or, The Hibernian Patriot
- Giambattista Vico - New Science
- Isaac Watts - Logick
- George Whitehead - The Christian Progress of George Whitehead
- Edward Young - The Universal Passion: Satire
- Henry Baker - Original Poems
- Henry Carey - Namby Pamby
- John Glanvill - Poems
- Allan Ramsay - The Gentle Shepherd
- Colley Cibber - Caesar in Aegypt
- Gabriel Odingsells
- The Bath Unmask'd
- The Capricious Lovers
- Thomas Sheridan - The Philoctetes of Sophocles
- February 12 - William Mason, poet (died 1797)
- March 22 - Ignacy Nagurczewski, Polish Jesuit writer and translator (died 1811)
- April 2 - Giacomo Casanova, adventurer and writer (died 1798)
- July 24 - John Newton, clergyman and songwriter ("Amazing Grace") (died 1807)
- January 6 - Chikamatsu Monzaemon, Japanese dramatist (born 1653)
- January 26 - Sulkhan-Saba Orbeliani, Georgian prince and writer (born 1658)
- March 2 - Johan Peringskiöld, antiquarian and translator (born 1689)
- April 25 - Paul de Rapin, historian (born 1661)
- September 5 - Christian Wernicke, epigrammist (born 1661)
- December 7 - Florent Carton Dancourt, French dramatist and actor (born 1661)
- date unknown - Richard Fiddes, historian (born 1671)
- Ehman, Esther (1986) Madame du Chatelet. Leamington Spa: Berg. ISBN 0-907582-85-0.