The 173d Fighter Wing (173 FW) is a unit of the Oregon Air National Guard, stationed at Kingsley Field Air National Guard Base, Klamath Falls, Oregon. If activated to federal service, the Wing is gained by the United States Air Force Air Education and Training Command.
Kingsley Field AGB is home to the 173rd Fighter Wing, which is located in Klamath Falls, Oregon. The 173rd Fighter Wing is responsible for training the best air-to-air combat pilots in the world. Also, as part of the Air National Guard, the wing serves the state of Oregon and our nation in times of peace and war.
- 114th Fighter Squadron
- 173d Maintenance Group
- 173d Mission Support Group
- 173d Medical Group
- 270th Air Traffic Control Squadron
- Located on Kingsley Field, the 270th ATCS provides Deployable Air Traffic Control and Landing Systems (DATCALS) to wherever required by either state or federal mission tasking.
On 1 April 1996, the 173d Fighter Wing was formed at Kingsley AGB as a host organization and parent unit for the 114th Fighter Squadron when the unit was authorized to expand, with the 114th being transferred from the 142d Fighter Wing at Portland to the new Wing at Kingsley ANGB. Along with the 114th FS, the 173d consists of the 173d Operations Group; 173d Maintenance Group, 173d Mission Support Group and 173d Medical Group.
Initially flying F-16A Fighting Falcon aircraft as a Formal Training Unit (FTU), the F-16As were retired in the late 1990s as their service life was ending. The squadron began receiving F-15A/B Eagles in 1998. Was upgraded to the F-15C/C Eagle in 2004, continuing its mission as an ANG interceptor training unit.
- Designated 173d Fighter Wing, and allotted to Oregon ANG, 1996
- Extended federal recognition and activated, 1 April 1996
- Oregon Air National Guard
- Gained by: Air Education and Training Command
- 173d Operations Group, 1 April 1996 – Present
- Assigned to 173 OG entire period
This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.
External links