1740 in architecture
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (September 2014)|
|List of years in architecture (table)|
|... 1730 . 1731 . 1732 . 1733 . 1734 . 1735 . 1736 ...
1737 1738 1739 -1740- 1741 1742 1743
... 1744 . 1745 . 1746 . 1747 . 1748 . 1749 . 1750 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
The year 1740 in architecture involved some significant events.
- In Ballymena (Ireland), the original Ballymena Castle burns down.
- Teatro Regio (Turin) opened.
- Teatro di Santa Maria, Florence built.
- Falkenlust Palace, Brühl, Germany, completed.
- Château d'Hérouville, France, designed by Gaudot, built.
- In Boston, Massachusetts, Faneuil Hall, the covered market, is built by Huguenot merchant Pierre Faneuil.
- Old Library, Bristol, probably designed by James Paty the Elder, built.
- Örskär lighthouse, Sweden, rebuilt in stone to the design of Carl Hårleman.
- South Wing of St Bartholomew's Hospital, London, designed by James Gibbs, built.
- Saint Sampson's Cathedral, Saint Petersburg, designed by Pietro Antonio Trezzini, consecrated
- Old First Presbyterian Church (Wilmington, Delaware) built.
- Chaurasi Khambon ki Chhatri, Bundi, Rajasthan, built.
- In Philadelphia, the house which will become known as Betsy Ross House is built.
- Church of Santa María de Loreto, Achao on the Chiloé Archipelago completed by about this date.