1753 English cricket season
In the 1753 English cricket season, only a handful of match reports have been found.
|6 & 7 August (M-Tu)||Dover v Dartford ||Dover||Dover won by 7 runs|
Dover scored 57 and 83; Dartford scored 95 and 38. This is the first significant mention of Dover in cricket history. Dartford remained a premier club through the 1750s so presumably this was a shock result.
|7 & 8 August (Tu-W)||Hambledon v Surrey||Broadhalfpenny Down||Hambledon won by 113 runs|
Hambledon scored 202 and 105; Surrey scored 131 and 63. This is the first mention of cricket being played on Broadhalfpenny (discovered in the Salisbury Journal in 2011). John Lucas, of Portsmouth, scored 82 in Hambledon's first innings.
|15 August (W)||Two Elevens ||Artillery Ground||result unknown|
This was a benefit match for Mr Anderson of the Dial in Long Alley, Moorfields. There was a well-known player called William Anderson, first mentioned in 1745, so presumably this was he. The two elevens were made up of various players from the general London area with the best bowlers to be parted.
|30 August (Th)||London v Marylebone ||Artillery Ground||result unknown|
Marylebone (no connection with MCC) had Tall Bennett and King as given men.
- Hugh Barty-King, Quilt Winders and Pod Shavers: the history of cricket bat and ball manufacture, MacDonald and James, 1979
- G B Buckley, Fresh Light on 18th Century Cricket, Cotterell, 1935
- Buckley, G. B. (1935). Fresh Light on 18th Century Cricket. Cotterell.
- McCann, Tim (2004). Sussex Cricket in the Eighteenth Century. Sussex Record Society.
- Waghorn, H. T. (1899). Cricket Scores, Notes, etc. (1730–1773). Blackwood.
- Waghorn, H. T. (1906). The Dawn of Cricket. Electric Press.
- Wilson, Martin (2005). An Index to Waghorn. Bodyline.
- ACS (1981). A Guide to Important Cricket Matches Played in the British Isles 1709 – 1863. Nottingham: ACS.
- Altham, H. S. (1962). A History of Cricket, Volume 1 (to 1914). George Allen & Unwin.
- Birley, Derek (1999). A Social History of English Cricket. Aurum.
- Bowen, Rowland (1970). Cricket: A History of its Growth and Development. Eyre & Spottiswoode.
- Buckley, G. B. (1937). Fresh Light on pre-Victorian Cricket. Cotterell.
- Major, John (2007). More Than A Game. HarperCollins.
- Maun, Ian (2011). From Commons to Lord's, Volume Two: 1751 to 1770. Martin Wilson. ISBN 978-0-9569066-0-1.
- Underdown, David (2000). Start of Play. Allen Lane.
- Classification of cricket matches from 1697 to 1825
- CricketArchive – 1753 match list
- From Lads to Lord's; The History of Cricket: 1300 – 1787