1762 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in art (table)|
|... 1752 . 1753 . 1754 . 1755 . 1756 . 1757 . 1758 ...
1759 1760 1761 -1762- 1763 1764 1765
... 1766 . 1767 . 1768 . 1769 . 1770 . 1771 . 1772 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
Events from the year 1762 in art.
- Trevi Fountain in Rome is completed after thirty years of work, with Nicola Salvi's design being modified by Giovanni Paolo Panini.
- The art collection of Joseph Smith, former British consul in Venice, including many works by Canaletto, is sold to King George III of Great Britain for the Royal Collection.
- James Stuart and Nicholas Revett's Antiquities of Athens is published.
- Horace Walpole begins publication of Anecdotes of Painting in England, based on George Vertue's manuscript notes.
- François-Hubert Drouais – Portrait of Dmitry Mikhaylovich Golitsyn
- Nathaniel Hone – Portrait of Lieutenant-General the Hon Philip Sherard and Captain William Tiffin at the Battle of Brücke-Mühl
- Allan Ramsay – Portraits of George III of Great Britain; Queen Charlotte; and the Countess of Elgin
- Joshua Reynolds – Portraits of Sir Charles Spencer; the Earl of Shaftesbury; Emma, Lady Edgcumbe; and Ostenaco, Mankiller of Keowee
- George Stubbs (some dates approximate)
- Lion Attacking a Horse (two versions)
- Mare and Foals belonging to the 2nd Viscount Bolingbroke
- Mare and Foals with an unfigured background
- The Marquess of Rockingham's Scrub with John Singleton up
- Molly Longlegs with a jockey
- Scrub, a horse belonging to the Marquess of Rockingham
- Whistlejacket with the head groom Mr Cobb and the two other principal stallions in the Wentworth stud
- Johann Zoffany
- The Garden at Hampton House, with Mr and Mrs David Garrick taking tea
- The Shakespeare Temple at Hampton House, with Mr and Mrs David Garrick
- February 29 – Eberhard Wächter, painter (died 1852)
- June 16 – Giuseppe Bernardino Bison, Italian painter, especially of history pieces, genre depictions, and whimsical and imaginary landscapes (died 1844)
- August 10 – Arthur William Devis – English portrait and historical painter (died 1822)
- October 4 – William Sawrey Gilpin, watercolour painter (died 1843)
- December 30 – John Emes, British engraver and water-colour painter (died 1810)
- date unknown
- Pierre-Michel Alix, French engraver (died 1817)
- James Bisset, Scottish-born artist, manufacturer, writer, collector, art dealer and poet (died 1832)
- Giovanni Battista Ballanti, sculptor (died 1835)
- Vicente Calderón de la Barca, Spanish historical painter (died 1794)
- Pietro Fontana, Italian engraver (died 1837)
- Anna Rajecka, Polish painter and drawing artist (died 1832)
- Francesco Rosaspina, Italian engraver (died 1841)
- Jan Rustem, Turkish-born portrait painter (died 1835)
- William Frederick Wells, English watercolour painter and etcher (died 1836)
- January 11 – Louis-François Roubiliac, French sculptor (born 1695)
- April 2 – Johann Georg Bergmüller, painter of frescoes (born 1688)
- July 16 – Giovanni Francesco Braccioli, Italian painter, mainly active in Ferrara (born 1698)
- July 20 – Paul Troger, Austrian painter, draughtsman and printmaker of the late Baroque period (born 1698)
- July 27 – Edmé Bouchardon, French sculptor (born 1698)
- August 31 – Pietro Rotari, Italian painter of portraits and altarpieces (born 1707)
- October 22 – Karl Aigen, German painter, master painter/tutor with Daniel Gran in Vienna (born 1684)
- November 18 – Agostino Veracini, Italian painter and engraver (born 1689)
- date unknown