1770 English cricket season
Only four match reports have been found from the 1770 English cricket season. Hambledon continued to be successful.
|5 June (Tu)||Brentford & Richmond v Essex ||Richmond Green||result unknown|
Announced in the Whitehall Evening Post on Thursday 7 June but no match details were reported.
|20 & 21 August (M-Tu)||London & Middlesex v Surrey ||Artillery Ground||result unknown|
No details are known.
|11 September (Tu)||Chertsey v Hampton ||Moulsey Hurst||result unknown|
|4 & 5 October (Th-F)||Hambledon v Caterham ||Broadhalfpenny Down||Hambledon won by 57 runs|
Hambledon scored 104 and 105; Caterham replied with 74 and 78. No other details are known.
Tues 26 June. The Middlesex Journal on Thurs 29 June reported the death of a Mr Johnson, who was a goldsmith at London Wall. His death was "occasioned by a blow which he received from a cricket ball on Thurs 21 June near Islington".
There was a notice in the General Evening Post dated Tues 7 August that "His Majesty (i.e., George III) has given a silver cup to be played for at cricket on the 20th inst. on Richmond Green, on account of the Princes having been much pleased with a Cricket match there on Mon. last". No details of either match have been found.
In the year of the so-called "Boston Massacre", which occurred on Mon 5 March, there was a report in the Middlesex Journal on Thurs 16 August that: "about three days before the meeting of Parliament, a grand Cricket Match will be played by 11 of the Ministry against 11 of the Patriots, when great sport is expected".
- Buckley, G. B. (1935). Fresh Light on 18th Century Cricket. Cotterell.
- Haygarth, Arthur (1862). Scores & Biographies, Volume 1 (1744–1826). Lillywhite.
- McCann, Tim (2004). Sussex Cricket in the Eighteenth Century. Sussex Record Society.
- Waghorn, H. T. (1899). Cricket Scores, Notes, etc. (1730–1773). Blackwood.
- Waghorn, H. T. (1906). The Dawn of Cricket. Electric Press.
- Wilson, Martin (2005). An Index to Waghorn. Bodyline.
- ACS (1981). A Guide to Important Cricket Matches Played in the British Isles 1709 – 1863. Nottingham: ACS.
- Altham, H. S. (1962). A History of Cricket, Volume 1 (to 1914). George Allen & Unwin.
- Birley, Derek (1999). A Social History of English Cricket. Aurum.
- Bowen, Rowland (1970). Cricket: A History of its Growth and Development. Eyre & Spottiswoode.
- Buckley, G. B. (1937). Fresh Light on pre-Victorian Cricket. Cotterell.
- Major, John (2007). More Than A Game. HarperCollins.
- Maun, Ian (2011). From Commons to Lord's, Volume Two: 1751 to 1770. Martin Wilson. ISBN 978-0-9569066-0-1.
- Mote, Ashley (1997). The Glory Days of Cricket. Robson.
- Underdown, David (2000). Start of Play. Allen Lane.
- Classification of cricket matches from 1697 to 1825
- CricketArchive – 1770 match list
- From Lads to Lord's; The History of Cricket: 1300 – 1787