From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Events from the year 1782 in the Kingdom of Great Britain.
- 23 January - Planned town of Johnstone, Scotland, inaugurated.
- 25 January–26 January - American Revolutionary War: Battle of St. Kitts between French and British fleets.
- 5 February - Spanish defeat British forces and capture Minorca.
- 17 February - American Revolutionary War: Battle of Sadras between French and British fleets.
- 19 March - Following a vote of no confidence against the government of Lord North, North resigns as Prime Minister because of recent setbacks in the American Revolutionary War.
- 27 March - Charles Watson-Wentworth, 2nd Marquess of Rockingham, becomes Prime Minister for the second time. His new Whig administration opens peace talks with the Americans, with Thomas Grenville being sent to Paris to negotiate with Benjamin Franklin.
- 1 April - Rockingham appoints the first Home Secretary (William Petty, 2nd Earl of Shelburne) and Foreign Secretary (Charles James Fox).
- 12 April - American Revolutionary War: A British fleet under Admiral Sir George Rodney defeats a French fleet under the Comte de Grasse in the West Indies at the Battle of the Saintes.
- 12 April - American Revolutionary War: Battle of Providien.
- 17 May
- 25 May–12 June - American Revolutionary War: Crawford expedition.
- 4 July - Shelburne becomes Prime Minister following the death of Rockingham.
- 6 July - American Revolutionary War: Battle of Negapatam between British and French fleets.
- 19 August - American Revolutionary War: Battle of Blue Licks.
- 29 August – HMS Royal George capsizes at Spithead with the loss of 800 lives.
- 3 September - American Revolutionary War: Battle of Trincomalee between French and British fleets.
- 10 October - Sarah Siddons makes a triumphant return to the Drury Lane Theatre in London in the title role of Garrick's adaptation of Thomas Southerne's Isabella, or, The Fatal Marriage.
- 20 October - American Revolutionary War: Battle of Cape Spartel.
- 30 November - American Revolutionary War: In Paris, representatives from the United States and Great Britain sign preliminary peace articles (later formalised in the Treaty of Paris).
- 12 December - American Revolutionary War: Action of 12 December 1782: A naval engagement off Ferrol, Spain, in which the British 40-gun fifth rate HMS Mediator (1782) commanded by James Luttrell successfully attacks a convoy of French and American ships attempting to supply the United States.