1785 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in art (table)|
|... 1775 . 1776 . 1777 . 1778 . 1779 . 1780 . 1781 ...
1782 1783 1784 -1785- 1786 1787 1788
... 1789 . 1790 . 1791 . 1792 . 1793 . 1794 . 1795 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
Events from the year 1785 in art.
- Joseph Wright of Derby holds a one-man exhibition in London, having severed his official connection with the Royal Academy.
- Nicolas Benjamin Delapierre – Portrait of a Seated Gentleman
- Joseph Duplessis – Portrait of Benjamin Franklin (approximate date)
- Anton Graff – Self-portrait with his family
- Hugh Douglas Hamilton – Lord Edward Stuart
- Jean-Antoine Houdon – Portrait bust of George Washington
- Adélaïde Labille-Guiard – Self-portrait with two pupils
- Jacques-Antoine-Marie Lemoine – Portrait of Zamor
- Isidro Lorea – Main altarpiece of Buenos Aires Metropolitan Cathedral (carved wood)
- Sir Joshua Reynolds – approximate date
- George Romney – At least two portraits of Emma Hart
- Alexander Roslin – Self Portrait while Painting the King of Sweden
- April 26 – John James Audubon, naturalist and painter (died 1851)
- September 26 – Charles Bird King, American portrait artist who notably painted Native American delegates visiting Washington, D.C. (died 1862)
- October 12 – Henry Thomas Alken, English engraver, illustrator and sporting artist (died 1851)
- October 31 – Georg Friedrich Kersting, German painter of Biedermeier-style interior paintings (died 1847)
- November 18 – David Wilkie – Scottish painter and engraver (died 1841)
- December 23 – Christian Gobrecht, engraver (died 1844)
- date unknown
- Jean Alaux, French history painter and Director of the French Academy in Rome (died 1864)
- Pál Balkay, Hungarian painter and teacher (died 1846)
- Abraham Constantin, Swiss enamel painter (died 1851)
- Jean-Baptiste De Jonghe, Belgian landscape painter (died 1844)
- José Gil de Castro, Afro-Peruvian painter especially of portraits of Peru's heroes (died 1841)
- Paul Joseph Gabriël, Dutch painter and sculptor (died 1833)
- Daniel Havell, English engraver (died 1822)
- Ignatius Josephus van Regemorter, Flemish historical, landscape, and genre painter and engraver (died 1873)
- January 2 – Andrés de la Calleja, Spanish painter (born 1705)
- April 13 – Michel-François Dandré-Bardon, French historical painter and etcher (born 1700)
- May 8 – Pietro Longhi, Venetian painter (born 1701)
- August 20 – Jean-Baptiste Pigalle, French sculptor (born 1714)
- October 4 – Alexander Runciman, Scottish painter (born 1736)
- December 14 – Giovanni Battista Cipriani, Italian painter and engraver (born 1727)
- date unknown
- John Hodges Benwell, English genre painter (born 1764; consumption)
- Johannes de Bosch, Dutch painter, engraver and draughtsman (born 1713)
- William Cochran, Scottish painter (born 1738)
- Pietro Gaspari, Italian artist, known for veduta and capriccio in etchings and paintings (born 1720)
- Jacques Fabien Gautier d'Agoty, French painter and printmaker (born 1716)
- José Luzán, Spanish Baroque painter (born 1710)
- Krzysztof Perwanger, Polish sculptor and mayor (born 1700)
- Hugues Taraval, French painter (born 1729)
- Barton, Eleanor Dodge Barton (1976). "Pigalle, Jean Baptiste". In William D. Halsey. Collier's Encyclopedia 19. New York: Macmillan Educational Corporation. p. 43.
- "Benwell, John Hodges". Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co. 1885–1900.
- This article incorporates text from the article "COCHRAN, William" in Bryan's Dictionary of Painters and Engravers by Michael Bryan, edited by Robert Edmund Graves and Sir Walter Armstrong, an 1886–1889 publication now in the public domain.