|Centuries:||1st century – 2nd century – 3rd century|
|Decades:||140s 150s 160s – 170s – 180s 190s 200s|
|Years:||176 177 178 – 179 – 180 181 182|
|179 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||932|
|Bahá'í calendar||−1665 – −1664|
|English Regnal year||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||戊午年 (Earth Horse)
2875 or 2815
— to —
己未年 (Earth Goat)
2876 or 2816
|Coptic calendar||−105 – −104|
|- Vikram Samvat||235–236|
|- Shaka Samvat||101–102|
|- Kali Yuga||3280–3281|
|Igbo calendar||−821 – −820|
|Iranian calendar||443 BP – 442 BP|
|Islamic calendar||457 BH – 456 BH|
|Minguo calendar||1733 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||722|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 179.|
Year 179 (CLXXIX) was a common year starting on Thursday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Aurelius and Veru (or, less frequently, year 932 Ab urbe condita). The denomination 179 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
- The Roman fort Castra Regina ("fortress by the Regen river") is built at Regensburg, on the right bank of the Danube in Germany.
- Roman legionaries of Legio II Adiutrix engrave on the rock of the Trenčín Castle (Slovakia) the name of the town Laugaritio, marking the northernmost point of Roman presence in that part of Europe.
- Marcus Aurelius drives the Marcomanni over the Danube and reinforces the border. To repopulate and rebuild a devastated Pannonia, Rome allows the first German colonists to enter territory controlled by the Roman Empire.
- Abgar IX the Great becomes King of Edessa.
- Gogukcheon succeeds his father Shindae as King of Goguryeo.
- Han Dynasty China: The full title of the Nine Chapters on the Mathematical Art appears on two bronze standard measures dated to this year, yet there is speculation that the same book existed beforehand only under different titles. In the 3rd century, Liu Hui would provide commentary on this important early Chinese mathematical treatise.