17 State Street
|17 State Street|
|Location||17 State Street at Pearl Street
Manhattan, New York City, New York
|Roof||165.25 m (542.2 ft)|
|Floor area||540,000 sq ft (50,000 m2)|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Emery Roth & Sons|
17 State Street is a 42-story building in the Financial District of Manhattan. It was designed by Emery Roth and Sons, and it is most noted for its distinct curved facade. The building has been owned by RFR Holding since 1999 when it was acquired from Savannah Teachers Properties Inc. for $120 million.
The bottom floors of the skyscraper are home to New York Unearthed, an urban archaeology museum with approximately two million artifacts from local excavation sites. The museum was originally included as a concession to the New York Landmarks Preservation Commission, who had been unable to perform an archaeological survey of the site before construction began. They believed that the lot had contained artifacts from the early 18th century, although a lawyer for the construction firm claimed to be "absolutely certain that no archeological material was lost".
17 State Street was affected by Hurricane Sandy in October 2012, primarily water damage to electrical equipment in the building's basement. The building was closed for repair for approximately two weeks and was one of the earliest office buildings in the Financial District to be reoccupied after the storm.
- The US offices of Fidessa, a finance software company, take up several floors of the building, including the half of 18th, 21st, 33rd, 35th, 41st and 42nd.
- The offices of Georgeson Shareholders on the 28th floor of the building had a webcam that was fixed on the Statue of Liberty and has since been removed.
- IPsoft, a managed services provider, takes up office space on the 10th, 11th, 12th and 14th floors.
- Hudson Insurance Group, a specialty insurance underwriter of primary and excess property and casualty insurance. This company's New York City headquarters is located on the 29th through the 31st floors.
- Varick Asset Management
- The law firm of Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is located on the 34th floor.
- The New York offices of Neville Peterson LLP, a law firm concentrating in international and domestic trade regulation matters.
- The law firm of Wechsler & Cohen LLP is located on the 15th floor.
- AXA Liabilities Managers USA
- The investment firm Implement Capital is located on the 40th floor
- 17 State Street at Emporis
- 17 State Street at SkyscraperPage
- 17 State Street at Structurae
- South Street Seaport Museum. Retrieved 2006-09-10.
- Dunlap, David W. (1990-05-06). "State Street Penitent; A Taste of the Past to Emend a Builder's Blunder". The New York Times. Retrieved 2006-09-10.
- The AXA Group/AXA Worldwide/North America/United States
- Implement Capital
- McCain, Mark (1989-07-09). "Security Systems; The New Watchmen: TV Monitors and Computers". The New York Times. Retrieved 2009-09-04.
- McCain, Mark (1988-12-11). "Empty Offices; Pegging Rents High, and Waiting for 'Right Tenants'". The New York Times. Retrieved 2009-09-04.