17th Academy Awards
|17th Academy Awards|
|Date||March 15, 1945|
|Site||Grauman’s Chinese Theater, Hollywood, California, USA|
|Host||John Cromwell and Bob Hope|
|Best Picture||Going My Way|
|Most awards||Going My Way (7)|
|Most nominations||Going My Way and Wilson (10)|
The 17th Academy Awards marked the first time this awards ceremony was broadcast nationally on the ABC Radio network.
Through the 1940s, the ceremony and academy rules continued to evolve into the form by which we know them today. This is the first year that the Best Picture category was limited to 5 pictures. This was also the first and last time an individual was nominated for Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor for playing the same role in the same film. Barry Fitzgerald was nominated in both categories for the character of Father Fitzgibbon in Going My Way. He won for Best Supporting Actor.
This was the first time film clips were used to promote nominated categories at the live event, however this tradition ended abruptly after the 1948 ceremony as a result of the Paramount antitrust decrees, only to return gradually since the late 1960s, and eventually completed since 1986.
Winners are listed first and highlighted in boldface.
Academy Honorary Award
Academy Juvenile Award
Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award
- Hugo Butler (Presenter: Writing Awards)
- Charles Coburn (Presenter: Best Supporting Actor)
- John Cromwell (Presenter: Documentary Awards, Short Subject Awards, Scientific & Technical Awards, Best Film Editing, Best Sound Recording, Best Art Direction, and Best Special Effects)
- Barry Fitzgerald (Presenter: Best Actor)
- Bob Hope (Presenter: Best Cinematography and Best Original Song)
- Jennifer Jones (Presenter: Best Actress)
- Mervyn LeRoy (Presenter: Best Director)
- Norma Shearer (Presenter: Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award)
- Hal B. Wallis (Presenter: Best Picture)
- Walter Wanger (Presenter: Honorary Award to Bob Hope)
- Teresa Wright (Presenter: Best Supporting Actress)
Multiple nominations and awards
These films had multiple nominations:
The following films received multiple awards.
- "The 17th Academy Awards (1945) Nominees and Winners". oscars.org. Archived from the original on 6 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-14.