17th Gurkha Division
|17th Gurkha Division|
Headquarters 17th Gurkha Division was the operational headquarters for all British and Gurkha units in Malaya. It controlled the 26th, 48th and 63rd Gurkha Brigades, and 99th Gurkha Brigade which formed about 1952 also came under command. Maxwell Road Camp was renamed Lamjung Camp in 1953.
It was based at Lamjung Camp in Kuala Lumpur until 1966 when it moved to Seremban where it remained until the Division disbanded in 1970. The final order of battle included 63rd and 99th Gurkha Brigades.
General Officers Commanding
- 1952–1955 Major-General Lancelot Perowne
- 1955–1958 Major-General Richard Anderson
- 1958–1961 Major-General Jim Robertson
- 1961–1964 Major-General Walter Walker
- 1964–1965 Major-General Peter Hunt
- 1965–1969 Major-General Arthur Patterson
- 1969–1970 Major-General Derek Horsford
- Pocock, Tom (1973). Fighting General – The Public & Private Campaigns of General Sir Walter Walker (First ed.). London: Collins. ISBN 0-00-211295-7.