1808 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in art (table)|
|... 1798 . 1799 . 1800 . 1801 . 1802 . 1803 . 1804 ...
1805 1806 1807 -1808- 1809 1810 1811
... 1812 . 1813 . 1814 . 1815 . 1816 . 1817 . 1818 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
- May 2 and May 3 – In Spain the guerrilla resistance movement against the French forces of Napoleon Bonaparte begins; immortalized in 1814 by Francisco Goya's Third of May 1808.
- December 20 – The original Covent Garden Theatre in London is destroyed by a fire, along with most of the scenery, costumes and scripts.
- December 22 – Ludwig van Beethoven conducts and performs in concert at the Theater an der Wien, Vienna, with the premiere of his Fifth Symphony, Sixth Symphony, and Fourth Piano Concerto (performed by Beethoven himself).
- John James Audubon marries Lucy Bakewell.
- The Academy of Fine Arts, Munich is founded.
- The Rijksmuseum moves from The Hague to Amsterdam.
- Thomas Phillips is elected to the Royal Academy.
- Publication of Johann Dominicus Fiorillo's Geschichte der zeichnenden Künste.
- Publication of an edition of Robert Blair's poem The Grave with illustrations from designs by William Blake (including A Vision of the Last Judgment).
- François Joseph Bosio – Statue of Cupid with a bow (Hermitage Museum)
- Antonio Canova – Venus Victrix (marble reclining nude)
- Richard Cosway – Portrait miniature of Arthur Wellesley
- François-Xavier Fabre – The Judgement of Paris (approximate date)
- Anne-Louis Girodet de Roussy-Trioson
- Francisco Goya – Prison Interior
- Antoine-Jean Gros – Napoleon on the battlefield of Preussisch-Eylau
- Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres
- Thomas Lawrence – Portrait of the Children of Ayscoghe Boucherett
- Edouard Pingret – Portrait of Napoleon I of France
- February 5 – Carl Spitzweg, German Biedermeier painter (died 1885)
- February 26 – Honoré Daumier, French painter, sculptor and illustrator (died 1879)
- March 6 – Sofia Adlersparre, Swedish painter (died 1862)
- Date unknown – Nikola Aleksić, Serbian portraitist in the Biedermeier artistic tradition and the Nazarene movement of 19th century German painters (died 1873)
- February 10 – Hugh Douglas Hamilton, Irish portrait artist (born 1740)
- March 3 – Anton von Maron, Austrian painter active in Rome (born 1733)
- April 10 – Jean-Laurent Mosnier, French painter and miniaturist (born 1743)
- April 15 – Hubert Robert, painter (born 1733)
- April 26 – Jean-Baptiste Pillement, Rococo painter, designer and engraver (born 1728)
- June 1 – Jacques Kuyper, Dutch printmaker, painter, draftsman, watercolourist, etcher, musician, and composer (born 1761)
- June 6 – Magdalene Bärens, Danish still life and flower painter (born 1737)
- December 4 – Karl Ludwig Fernow, art critic (born 1763)
- date unknown