1808 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in art (table)|
|... 1798 . 1799 . 1800 . 1801 . 1802 . 1803 . 1804 ...
1805 1806 1807 -1808- 1809 1810 1811
... 1812 . 1813 . 1814 . 1815 . 1816 . 1817 . 1818 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
- May 2 and May 3 – In Spain the guerrilla resistance movement against the French forces of Napoleon Bonaparte begins; immortalized in 1814 by Francisco Goya's Third of May 1808.
- April 5 – John James Audubon marries Lucy Bakewell.
- The Academy of Fine Arts, Munich, is founded.
- The Rijksmuseum moves from The Hague to Amsterdam.
- Thomas Phillips is elected to the Royal Academy.
- Publication of Johann Dominicus Fiorillo's Geschichte der zeichnenden Künste.
- Publication of an edition of Robert Blair's poem The Grave with illustrations from designs by William Blake (including A Vision of the Last Judgment).
- François Joseph Bosio – Statue of Cupid with a bow (Hermitage Museum)
- Antonio Canova – Venus Victrix (marble reclining nude)
- Richard Cosway – Portrait miniature of Arthur Wellesley
- François-Xavier Fabre – The Judgement of Paris (approximate date)
- Anne-Louis Girodet de Roussy-Trioson
- Francisco Goya – Prison Interior
- Antoine-Jean Gros – Napoleon on the battlefield of Preussisch-Eylau
- Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres
- Thomas Lawrence – Portrait of the Children of Ayscoghe Boucherett
- Edouard Pingret – Portrait of Napoleon I of France
- February 5 – Carl Spitzweg, German Biedermeier painter (died 1885)
- February 26 – Honoré Daumier, French painter, sculptor and illustrator (died 1879)
- March 6 – Sofia Adlersparre, Swedish painter (died 1862)
- Date unknown – Nikola Aleksić, Serbian portraitist in the Biedermeier artistic tradition and the Nazarene movement of 19th century German painters (died 1873)
- February 10 – Hugh Douglas Hamilton, Irish portrait artist (born 1740)
- March 1 – Fredrika Eleonora von Düben, Swedish textile artist, member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Arts (born 1738)
- March 3 – Anton von Maron, Austrian painter active in Rome (born 1733)
- April 10 – Jean-Laurent Mosnier, French painter and miniaturist (born 1743)
- April 15 – Hubert Robert, painter (born 1733)
- April 26 – Jean-Baptiste Pillement, Rococo painter, designer and engraver (born 1728)
- June 1 – Jacques Kuyper, Dutch printmaker, painter, draftsman, watercolourist, etcher, musician, and composer (born 1761)
- June 6 – Magdalene Bärens, Danish still life and flower painter (born 1737)
- December 4 – Karl Ludwig Fernow, art critic (born 1763)
- date unknown
- Henderson County, Kentucky Biography of Audubon. Accessed 9 April 2015