1815 English cricket season
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In the 1815 English cricket season, a discernible recovery began in the aftermath of the Napoleonic Wars.
- The earliest known first-class centuries at the new Lord's Cricket Ground were scored in the Middlesex v Epsom match on 24 & 25 August by Felix Ladbroke and Frederick Woodbridge who scored 116 and 107 respectively for Epsom.
- After being severely impacted by loss of both revenue and manpower during the Napoleonic Wars, a reasonable number of matches took place in 1815 as a discernible recovery could begin in the aftermath of Napoleon Bonaparte's defeat:
- 31 May–1 June — MCC v Middlesex at Lord's Cricket Ground
- 20–22 June — Lord F Beauclerk's XI v W Ward's XI at Lord's Cricket Ground
- 12–14 July — England v Surrey at Lord's Cricket Ground
- 17–18 July — Kent v England at Napps, Wrotham
- 7–9 August — Sussex v Epsom at Royal New Ground, Brighton
- 24–25 August — Middlesex v Epsom at Lord's Cricket Ground
1815 debutants included:
- Charles Andrew (Sussex)
- John Brand (MCC)
- Algernon Greville (Middlesex)
- Francis Mellersh (Sussex)
- William Slater (Sussex)
- William Sturt (Sussex)
- Edward Woodbridge (Surrey)
- Frederick Woodbridge (Surrey)
- Note that scorecards created in the first quarter of the 19th century are not necessarily accurate or complete; therefore any summary of runs, wickets or catches can only represent the known totals and computation of averages is ineffectual.
- CricketArchive – match scorecard. Retrieved on 18 October 2009.
- Haygarth, p.378.
- Haygarth, p.379.
- Haygarth, p.380.
- Haygarth, p.381.
- Haygarth, p.383.
- Haygarth, Arthur (1862). Scores & Biographies, Volume 1 (1744–1826). Lillywhite.
- ACS (1981). A Guide to Important Cricket Matches Played in the British Isles 1709 – 1863. Nottingham: ACS.
- Altham, H. S. (1962). A History of Cricket, Volume 1 (to 1914). George Allen & Unwin.
- Birley, Derek (1999). A Social History of English Cricket. Aurum.
- Bowen, Rowland (1970). Cricket: A History of its Growth and Development. Eyre & Spottiswoode.
- Major, John (2007). More Than A Game. HarperCollins.
- Classification of cricket matches from 1697 to 1825
- CricketArchive – 1815 first-class matches list
- CricketArchive – 1815 other matches list
|This article about an English cricket season is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|