1822 in Ireland
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|See also:||1822 in the United Kingdom
Other events of 1822
List of years in Ireland
Events from the year 1822 in Ireland.
- 22 April - The Albion, a Black Ball Line trans-Atlantic packet, is driven ashore at Old Head of Kinsale with the loss of 46 of the 54 aboard.
- 7 June - The Constitution; or, Cork Morning Post begins publication.
- 21 September - HMS Confiance, a Royal Navy Cruizer class brig-sloop of 1813, is wrecked between Mizen Head and Three Castles Head near Crookhaven with the loss of all 100 aboard.
- 16 February - James Thomson, engineer and physicist (died 1892).
- 21 February - Richard Bourke, 6th Earl of Mayo, statesman, three times Chief Secretary for Ireland, Viceroy of India, assassinated (died 1872).
- 31 August - Timothy Anglin, politician in Canada and Speaker of the Canadian House of Commons (died 1896).
- September - Denis Dynon, soldier, recipient of the Victoria Cross for gallantry in 1857 at Chota Behar, India (died 1863).
- 2 October - James Pearson, soldier, recipient of the Victoria Cross for gallantry in 1858 at Jhansi, India (died 1900).
- 11 October - Alexander John Arbuthnot, British official in India and writer (died 1907).
- November - John Divane, soldier, recipient of the Victoria Cross for gallantry in 1857 at Delhi, India (died 1888).
- 4 December - Frances Power Cobbe, social reformer, feminist theorist, pioneer animal rights activist and writer (died 1904).
- 11 December - John Nicholson, military hero in India (died 1857).
Full date unknown
- James Byrne, recipient of the Victoria Cross (died 1872).
- Maxwell Henry Close, geologist (died 1903).
- Joseph Philip Ronayne, civil engineer (died 1876).
- 15 February - Pierce Butler, soldier, planter, statesman, one of United States' Founding Fathers, represented South Carolina in the Continental Congress and the U.S. Senate (born 1744).
- 25 March - Robert Blake, dentist, first State Dentist of Dublin (born 1772).
- 12 August - Robert Stewart, Viscount Castlereagh, politician, represented the United Kingdom at the Congress of Vienna (born 1769).