1824 English cricket season
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In the 1824 English cricket season, the Gentlemen v Players was an odds game with 14 on the Gentlemen team, but the Players still won by 103 runs.
- There is evidence of a county club having been formed in Devonshire, though the current Devon County Cricket Club dates from 1899.
- 6 first-class matches were recorded in 1824:
- 5 July — MCC v Godalming @ Lord's Cricket Ground
- 20 July — Godalming v MCC @ The Burys, Godalming
- 26 July — All-England v The Bs @ Lord's Cricket Ground
- 2 August — Gentlemen XIV v Players XI @ Lord's Cricket Ground
- 6 August — Sussex v Godalming @ Petworth Park
- 13 August — Godalming v Sussex @ The Burys, Godalming
1824 debutants included:
- Charles Duff (Sussex)
- Note that scorecards created in the first quarter of the 19th century are not necessarily accurate or complete; therefore any summary of runs, wickets or catches can only represent the known totals and computation of averages is ineffectual.
- Bowen, p.270.
- Haygarth, p.495.
- Haygarth, p.497.
- Haygarth, p.499.
- Haygarth, p.500.
- Haygarth, p.501.
- Haygarth, p.503.
- Haygarth, Arthur (1862). Scores & Biographies, Volume 1 (1744–1826). Lillywhite.
- ACS (1981). A Guide to Important Cricket Matches Played in the British Isles 1709 – 1863. Nottingham: ACS.
- Altham, H. S. (1962). A History of Cricket, Volume 1 (to 1914). George Allen & Unwin.
- Birley, Derek (1999). A Social History of English Cricket. Aurum.
- Bowen, Rowland (1970). Cricket: A History of its Growth and Development. Eyre & Spottiswoode.
- Major, John (2007). More Than A Game. HarperCollins.
- Classification of cricket matches from 1697 to 1825
- CricketArchive – 1824 first-class matches list
- CricketArchive – 1824 other matches list
|This article about an English cricket season is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|