1827 in Ireland
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|See also:||1827 in the United Kingdom
Other events of 1827
List of years in Ireland
Events from the year 1827 in Ireland.
- 19–25 April - Public theological debates in Dublin between Revs. R. T. P. Pope (Protestant) and Thomas Maguire (Roman Catholic).
- 6 September–October - Ordnance Survey staff survey a Lough Foyle baseline for their survey of Ireland.
- 24 September (Feast of Our Lady of Mercy) - Catherine McAuley opens an institution for destitute women and orphans and a school for the poor in Dublin.
- The British Army establishes barracks at Beggars Bush (Dublin).
- Amhlaoibh Ó Súilleabháin begins his diary, later published as Cín Lae Amhlaoibh.
Arts and literature
- Sydney, Lady Morgan, publishes her romantic novel with political overtones, The O'Briens and the O'Flahertys, in London.
- 5 February - Peter Lalor, leader of the Eureka Stockade rebellion in Australia (died 1889).
- 5 May - Thomas Francis Hendricken, first Bishop of Providence, Rhode Island (died 1886).
- 29 May - Timothy Daniel Sullivan, journalist, politician and poet, wrote the Irish national hymn God Save Ireland (died 1914).
- 3 September - John Drew, actor (died 1862).
- 10 December - Eugene O'Keefe, businessman and philanthropist in Canada (died 1913).
Full date unknown
- Bernard Diamond, soldier, recipient of the Victoria Cross for gallantry in 1857 at Bolandshahr, India (died 1892).
- Patrick Weston Joyce, historian and musicologist (died 1914).
- John Lucas, soldier, recipient of the Victoria Cross for gallantry in 1861 in New Zealand (died 1892).
- Mary Ward, scientist (died 1869).
- Moody, T. W. et al., ed. (1989). A New History of Ireland. 8: A Chronology of Irish History. Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-821744-2.
- Hewitt, Rachel (2010). Map of a Nation: a biography of the Ordnance Survey. London: Granta. ISBN 9781847080981.
- Austin, Mary Stanislas (1911). "Sisters of Mercy". The Catholic Encyclopedia 10 (New York: Robert Appleton Company) http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/10199a.htm
|url=missing title (help). Retrieved 2013-01-29.
- "O'Sullivan, Humphrey_1780-1837_Irish_teacher, tradesman". The Diary Junction. PiKLe. July 2008. Retrieved 2013-04-06.