1834 in New Zealand
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Regal and viceregal
Government and law
- 9 March or 20 March – The United Tribes of New Zealand choose a design for their flag.
- 30 December – William Colenso, printer/missionary for the Church Missionary Society, arrives at Paihia in the Bay of Islands.
- The house for James Busby is completed. After the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi there in 1840 it will be known as the Treaty House.
- Late in the year a site is chosen for a mission at Matamata by Alfred Nesbitt Brown and William Williams. (see also 1833 & 1835)
- The establishment of the Anglican mission at Te Papa peninsula, Tauranga, is begun late in the year.
- While in England, Thomas McDonnell is appointed Additional British Resident in New Zealand (or early 1835)
- Two Māori converts returning from the Bay of Islands introduce Christianity to Gisborne. (see also 1838)
- 14 February (in England): William Odgers R.N., Victoria Cross recipient.
- 16 March (in Scotland): James Hector, geologist.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)|
- List of years in New Zealand
- Timeline of New Zealand history
- History of New Zealand
- Military history of New Zealand
- Timeline of the New Zealand environment
- Timeline of New Zealand's links with Antarctica
- Flag of the United Tribes
- New Zealand Encyclopaedia 1966: Busby Biography
- New Zealand Encyclopaedia 1966: Colenso Biography
- New Zealand Encyclopaedia 1966: Brown Biography
- Wises New Zealand Guide, 7th Edition, 1979. p. 422.
- British Residents in New Zealand
- New Zealand Encyclopaedia 1966: McDonnell Snr. Biography
- Wises New Zealand Guide, 7th Edition, 1979. p. 113.
- Dell, R. K. (22 June 2007). "Hector, James 1834 - 1907". Dictionary of New Zealand Biography.
- Black, David and Bolton, Geoffrey (2001). Biographical Register of Members of the Parliament of Western Australia, Volume One, 1870–1930 (Revised Edition ed.). Parliament House: Parliament of Western Australia. ISBN 0-7307-3814-0.
- Knight, Hardwicke. (22 June 2007). "Burton, Alfred Henry 1833-1835? - 1914'". Dictionary of New Zealand Biography.
Media related to 1834 in New Zealand at Wikimedia Commons