1836 in Ireland
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2012)|
|See also:||1836 in the United Kingdom
Other events of 1836
List of years in Ireland
Events from the year 1836 in Ireland.
- 30 January - The Intrinsic sinks off Kilkee with the loss of all fourteen on board.
- February - Foundation of the Ulster Bank in Belfast.
- 23 May - Irish Constabulary Act provides central organisation for the police in Ireland.
- 4 June - The Sligo Champion newspaper is first published.
- August - Following one of the coldest summers in over fifty years there is widespread failure of the potato crop.
- End of Tithe War.
- Foundation of the Royal Bank of Ireland, a constituent of Allied Irish Banks.
- Foundation of the Ulster Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
- Irish emigration to Montevideo, Uruguay, peaks.
- 17 January - William MacCormac, surgeon (died 1901).
- 16 February - Robert Halpin, master mariner (died 1894).
- May - Thomas Lane, recipient of the Victoria Cross for gallantry in 1860 at the Taku Forts, China (died 1889).
- 9 June - Henry Arthur McArdle, painter in the United States (died 1908).
- 10 October - Dalton McCarthy, lawyer and politician in Canada (died 1898).
- 31 March - Edward Southwell Ruthven, Repealer politician and member of the United Kingdom Parliament (b. c. 1772)
- 8 August - James Blackwood, 2nd Baron Dufferin and Claneboye, politician (born 1755).
- 21 August - William Cusac Smith, Baronet, judge (born 1766)
- "Intrinsic Shipwreck Kilkee". County Clare Travel Guide. Retrieved 2013-02-26.
- O Rourke, Mick (2008-11-25). "Intrinsic". Irish Shipwrecks. Retrieved 2013-02-26.
- Palmer, Alan; Palmer, Veronica (1992). The Chronology of British History. London: Century Ltd. pp. 260–261. ISBN 0-7126-5616-2.
- Harkin, Greg (2011-09-19). "Still the reigning Champion after 175 great years". Irish Independent.
- McWilliams, David (2008). The generation game. Macmillan. p. 188. ISBN 978-0-230-70651-4. Retrieved 25 May 2011.
- Murray, Edmundo (2009). Becoming gauchos Ingleses: diasporic models in Irish-Argentine literature. Maunsel and Co. ISBN 978-1-933146-67-6. Retrieved 25 May 2011.