1842 in Australia
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Governor of New South Wales - Sir George Gipps
- Governor of South Australia - Sir George Grey
- Governor of Tasmania - Captain Sir John Franklin
- Governor of Western Australia as a Crown Colony - John Hutt.
- 20 July - an Act (6 Vic.No 3) passed "to declare the town of Sydney to be a city and to incorporate the inhabitants thereof".
- 12 August - Melbourne incorporated as a "town".
- 21 August - Hobart Town is proclaimed a city.
- 15 January - Mary MacKillop, the only Australian nun to be canonized, is born in Fitzroy, Victoria.
- Joseph Palmer Abbott
- John Cox Bray
- John Brazier
- Frederick Broome
- Charles French
- John Gilbert
- William Gosse
- Paddy Hannan
- Julia Matthews
- Alexander Onslow
- Andrew Scott (Captain Moonlite)
- Emma Withnell