1851 in New Zealand
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|1851 in New Zealand|
|Other years in New Zealand|
|1848 • 1849 • 1850 • 1851 • 1852 • 1853 • 1854|
The estimated population of New Zealand at the end of 1851 is 64,350 Māori and 26,707 non-Māori.
Regal and viceregal
Government and law
- Chief Justice — William Martin
- Lieutenant Governor, New Munster — Edward John Eyre
- Lieutenant Governor, New Ulster — George Dean Pitt until 8 January. Robert Henry Wynyard from 26 April.
Main centre leaders
- Governor Grey issues a charter creating the Borough of Auckland. Archibald Clark becomes Mayor. (see also 1852)
- 11 January: The Otago Witness begins publication. It publishes fortnightly until August, and then weekly until its demise in 1932.
- 11 January: The Lyttelton Times begins publication. It will change its name to the Christchurch Times in 1929, and continue until 1935.
- 25 December (or 19 January, 1852) — The Governor Wynyard, the first steamer built in New Zealand, is launched at Freemans Bay, Auckland.
Appointments and awards
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)|
- George Dean Pitt, Lieutenant Governor of New Ulster.
- List of years in New Zealand
- Timeline of New Zealand history
- History of New Zealand
- Military history of New Zealand
- Timeline of the New Zealand environment
- Timeline of New Zealand's links with Antarctica
- Statistics New Zealand has collated estimates from a number of sources (interpolating where necessary) at "Long-term data series". Archived from the original on 2008-03-05. Retrieved 2008-03-14., in particular "A1.1 Total population.xls" (Excel). Archived from the original on 2008-03-05. Retrieved 2008-03-14.
- History of Auckland City: Chapter 1
- History of Auckland City: Mayors
- "Otago Witness". National Library of New Zealand.
- "Chapter 2: Early Statistical Sources — 19th Century" (PDF). Statistical publications 1840–2000. Statistics New Zealand. p. 12. Archived from the original on 25 November 2007.
- Roadworks KRoad: Karangahape Road History
- Te Ara: The Encyclopedia of New Zealand - Shipbuilding
- New Zealand Electronic Text Centre: Some Interesting Occurrences in Early Auckland