1852 in Canada
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
Events from the year 1852 in Canada.
- January 15 - Trinity College opens
- July 8 - Beginning of a fire which burns 11,000 houses in Montreal.
- October - The Bank of Montreal issues notes like the Bank of England's; denomination water-marked.
- October 25 - The Toronto Stock Exchange opens
- December 8 - Laval's Seminaire du Quebec founds Université Laval, North America's oldest French Language university.
Full date unknown
- January 1 - Alexander Bethune, politician and 12th Mayor of Vancouver (died 1947)
- March 22 - Theodore Davie, lawyer, politician and 9th Premier of British Columbia (died 1898)
- April 5 - Alexander Warburton, politician, jurist, author and Premier of Prince Edward Island (died 1929)
- August 19 - John Andrew Davidson, politician (died 1903)
- September 9 - Fletcher Bath Wade, politician and barrister (died 1905)
- September 24 - Joseph Martin, lawyer, politician and 13th Premier of British Columbia (died 1923)
- November 2 - Paul Tourigny, politician (died 1926)
- April 3 - Alexander Rankin, timber merchant, justice of the peace, politician, and office holder (born 1788)
- November 3 - Francis Gore, colonial administrator (born 1769)